Fee FAQs

When will I receive my invoice?

We aim to send out invoices by the end of October.

If you start your course in January then we will aim to send you or your sponsor an invoice by the end of February.

You will then have 21 days from the date on the invoice to pay in full. Alternatively you can set up a payment plan with Finance via the student portal.

If you or your sponsor needs an invoice sooner than this, please email registry@qmu.ac.uk

I have attempted matriculation, but my fees are not showing on the 'Summary of Fees Due and Sponsorship' screen. Should I still proceed?

If you are studying part time then you will need to select your modules before we can generate an invoice for you. You should however still proceed with matriculation and we can then generate your invoice once your modules have been selected.

Please refer to our Fees and Charges pages for more information on module fees.

More information on Module Registration

I have attempted matriculation but my funding / student loan has not yet been confirmed, can I still proceed?

Yes, you can still proceed with matriculation if your funding or loan has not yet been confirmed. You should however be aware that if for any reason, you do not receive your funding or a loan to cover your tuition fees by the 1st October an invoice will be sent to you. By completing matriculation, you are agreeing with our terms and conditions and you will therefore be liable for the appropriate tuition fees.

My employer or sponsor is paying my tuition fees, how do I let you know?

If your employer, or another external sponsor, is paying for your tuition, there will be an opportunity during matriculation to inform us of this. If you have already matriculated, please email registry@qmu.ac.uk and we can arrange for your employer to be invoiced. Please include a contact name, email address of where the invoice should be sent, a full postal address and telephone number. Please note that we may also require evidence of funding such as a letter from your sponsor. If we require this, we will let you know.

If your employer is the NHS, it is likely that they will require a purchase order number to appear on the invoice. Please note that is it the student's responsibility to notify us of this information.

If your sponsor information is not provided by 1st October an invoice will be sent to the student.

My employer or sponsor is paying for my tuition, but I have received the invoice. Who should I contact?

If you have received an invoice, but your employer or sponsor is paying your tuition fees, please email registry@qmu.ac.uk and we can arrange for your invoice to be cancelled and for your sponsor to be invoiced instead.

I have received confirmation of my SAAS funding / tuition fee loan, do I need to let you know?

If you have received confirmation of your funding from SAAS or Student Finance, then you do not need to let us know. The relevant funding body will notify us automatically. You should however keep the letter in a safe place in case we need to contact you.

I haven’t received my student loan or bursary payment, who should I contact?

If you have applied for a loan or bursary and you have not received your payment by the date stated on your award letter, please email registry@qmu.ac.uk as soon as possible and include your student support or reference number so that we can look in to this for you.

I am having trouble paying my fees, who should I contact?

If you are experiencing difficulty in paying all or part of your tuition fees, you must contact the Credit Controller as soon as possible. The Credit Controller will help you to draw up a payment schedule, to which you will be required to adhere until your fees are paid in full.

Contact us if you would like to see our Debt Recovery Procedure.

Tel: 0131 474 0000 (please ask for Credit Control or Finance)

Email: creditcontroller@qmu.ac.uk

I am experiencing financial difficulties, who should I contact?

If you are experiencing financial difficulties, you should seek help at the earliest possible opportunity. The University will assist where it can. Initially you should approach the Student Funding Adviser (Bill Stronach - studentfunding@qmu.ac.uk) within the Student Services department for a confidential discussion. You may also wish to speak to a personal tutor or someone at the Students’ Union for advice and support.

I’m an International student, are there any scholarships available?

Find out more about International Scholarships.

I’m a Postgraduate student, is there any funding available for my course?


More information on Postgraduate Funding for Home / Scottish students can be found via this link:



More information on Postgraduate Funding for students ordinarily resident in England, Wales and Northern Ireland can be found via this link:



There are arrangements in place for some full-time Irish students, Gibraltarian students and some UK students living in the EU who have never lived in the UK, making them eligible for tuition fees at publicly funded Scottish colleges or universities. Please click the link below for further details.


I have been awarded a Scholarship but I have also received an invoice for the full amount. Who should I contact?

If you have been awarded a Scholarship then our Finance department will have details of this. The amount that you have been awarded will be deducted on their system but your invoice will still show the full fee.

I have a query regarding my invoice, who should I contact?

If you have a query regarding your invoice or you think you have been charged incorrectly, please email registry@qmu.ac.uk and we will be happy to look in to this for you.

You may also find our Matriculation FAQs page helpful.