Being located on one compact campus makes our university close-knit, but QMU’s community is more than that. It extends to all the people living nearby, from the local schools and colleges throughout Scotland to the wide range of organisations and partners our Widening Participation and Outreach (WPO) team work with to widen access to higher education.
The WPO team realise the importance of working with organisations at all levels in order to widen access to learning.
See below examples of outreach-focused community engagement at national, regional and local levels.
- National Engagement
- Regional Engagement
- Local Engagement
- Scottish Funding Council (SFC): the national, strategic body that is responsible for funding teaching and learning provision, research and other activities in Scotland's colleges and higher education institutions. QMU work in partnership with SFC to support national priorities in widening access to learning.
More information at: www.sfc.ac.uk
- Scottish Wider Access Programme (SWAP): gives independent advice to adults about opportunities to access higher education. Based in local colleges programmes are designed specifically for adults who lack the required entry qualifications for university.
More information at: www.scottishwideraccess.org
- Lothian Equal Access Programme for Schools (LEAPS): a successful and unique widening participation programme, funded by its higher education institutional and local council partners, to increase progression to higher education in South East Scotland.
More information at: www.leapsonline.org
- Employment and Learning Midlothian (ELM): ELM brings together providers of Employment, Community Learning and Development, Adult Learning, Adult Literacies and English for Speakers of other Languages to work in partnership to deliver and support high quality learning experiences for the people of Midlothian.
More information at: www.midlothian.gov.uk
- East Lothian Partnership (ELP): East Lothian Partnership (East Lothian’s community planning partnership) brings together partner organisations from public services, the third sector, the business community and community organisations to work together with communities to make a real difference in East Lothian and, above all, to improve the lives and opportunities of East Lothian’s people.
More information at: eastlothian.gov
Widening Participation and Outreach
Contact our Widening Participation and Outreach team.Show Contacts