Scholarships for New Students

On this page, you will find details of scholarships for new students.

Undergraduate – Students from Scotland

The Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland can support undergraduate students that have to pay their own tuition fees. The scheme aims to support students who do not receive government funding towards the costs of their tuition fees following withdrawal from a previous course of study, academic repeats or because of their residence status.

For further information please consult the Carnegie Trust website.

Undergraduate – Students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland

QMU is committed to ensuring that suitably qualified candidates are not deterred from investing in their education on the grounds of ability to pay. For that reason, QMU will offer the non-repayable bursary package outlined below to all eligible students from the Rest of the UK.

QMU will use the residual household income figure calculated yearly by the Student Loans Company (SLC) when assessing a student’s bursary entitlement during each year of their studies.

The Bursary will be a cash award, enabling students to use their bursary as they wish e.g. contribution to accommodation or living costs or payment towards tuition fees.

Table: QMU Rest of UK Bursary Package

Annual Household Income (£) QMU Bursary Award (per year)

Up to £20,000









International Students

Before making your application to the University, it is important to be aware of the costs involved in studying overseas i.e. the tuition fees and the living costs. It is essential to ensure you have organised funding prior to arriving in the UK, in particular if you are an international student and you need to apply for a Student visa.


There is a lot of competition for a limited amount of funding. The following information is suggested sources of funding. It must be noted that none of the following is guaranteed. Do not travel to the UK unless you are sure that you have the funds available to pay for your studies AND your living expenses, as it is extremely difficult to make funding arrangements once you have left your home country.

First stop for funding queries

1. The Ministry of Education or Education Department in your home country will have details of scholarship information for students who want to study overseas.
2. The website is an excellent resource for information on funding. Alternatively visit your local British Council office.
3. The internet is a useful resource to search for possible sources of funding.

QMU International Scholarships

The University is pleased to offer a number of competitive scholarships of £3,000 for new applicant international students undertaking their first year of study on an undergraduate or postgraduate taught degree. The scholarship is granted as a reduction of the tuition fee and is available to students who are self-funding with an international tuition fee of more than £12,500 for a single year of study only.

Apply online for a QMU International Scholarship

The closing dates for applications are:

  • 31 March, at midnight (GMT) for September entrants
  • 31 October, at midnight (GMT) for January entrants

Applications can be made by students who have made an application to study at Queen Margaret University, although you do not need to have received an offer at the point of applying for a scholarship.

PhD Studentships

There are a number of PhD studentships available. Please see the Graduate School pages for details.

Other sources of funding

USA Federal Student Aid

Queen Margaret University is a Title IV School and is therefore authorised by the US Department of Education to certify applications (for eligible students) for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our Federal School Code is G33494.

Please note that you need to notify QMU that you have applied for a loan as we are NOT automatically notified once you complete your FAFSA. Further information on the process for US Loans.

British Chevening Scholarships

What are Chevening Scholarships? Chevening Scholarships are the UK government’s global scholarship programme, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations. The Scholarships are awarded to outstanding scholars with leadership potential. Awards are typically for a one-year Master’s degree.

Who can apply for a Chevening Scholarship? Chevening Scholarships are for talented people who have been identified as potential future leaders across a wide range of fields; including politics, business, the media, civil society, religion, and academia. Applicants should be high calibre graduates with the personal, intellectual and interpersonal qualities necessary for leadership. Chevening Scholars come from over 110 countries worldwide (excluding the USA and the EU), and this year the Scholarships will support approximately 700 individuals. There are over 41,000 Chevening alumni around the world who together comprise an influential and highly regarded global network.

How to apply for a Chevening Scholarship: Those interested in becoming part of the prestigious Chevening community should sign up for alerts through our country pages.

Further information: Applicants can also contact the Chevening Scholarships Secretariat.


British Marshall Scholarships

This is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. These are for US citizens under 26 who are graduates from US universities. The award covers fares, tuition fees, maintenance, book, thesis and travel allowances.

Fulbright Scholarships

This is again open to US graduate students wanting to study in the UK (it is not restricted by age or subject). Each year between 8 and 14 awards are offered to US citizens for the first year of Masters or PhD study in any discipline at any accredited UK university.

Canadian Centennial Scholarship Fund

This scholarship makes awards of £2000-£5000 to Canadians who are enrolled on taught postgraduate programme, and at the time of application have completed at least one academic semester of study. Applicants should be able to demonstrate academic excellence, and require funds to complete their studies. Enquiries regarding this fund can be sent to

Other useful resources

UKCISA: The UK Council for International Student Affairs


Scholarship Search UK

British Council Website 


Contact us

For further information, please contact Alternatively you can call us on +44 131 474 0099.

QMU also has a Student Funding Adviser who provides one-to-one information, advice and guidance on the funding that is available to QMU students, both current and prospective. You can contact the Student Funding Adviser by emailing:

Funding Enquiries

The University offers a Funding Advice Service for all students.

Show Contacts

Funding Enquiries

Bill Stronach Student Funding Adviser 0131 474 0000