Resources for Validation and Review
Guidance Notes for Programme Teams involved in validation and review provide a comprehensive overview of the process.
- Review Document
- Validation Document Templates for the review and validation document are provided for guidance only. Teams may wish to vary the headings and order of content to suit the needs of their own programmes.
- Programme Development Form (internal programmes)
- Programme Development Form (collaborative programmes)
- Nomination of External Panellist Form
Internal reference points
- Student Experience Strategy 2021-26. The new Student Experience Strategy was approved by the University Senate on 15 December 2021. The Strategy has been developed in partnership between the University and the Students’ Union. Guidance on the Student Experience Strategy as a reference point for Validation and Review is available from Dawn Martin, Assistant Secretary, Governance and Quality Enhancement.
- Graduate Attributes (See also Graduate Attributes mapping tool)
- Sustainability in the Curriculum
- Policy on Inclusive Learning and Teaching Materials
External reference points
QMU's procedures for validation and review are set out in full in the Quality Assurance Handbook - Programme Development, Monitoring and Review Procedures for setting up a new collaborative programme are broadly the same as for other programmes but see the Academic Collaboration section for details. Contact Sheila Adamson, Partnership Development Manager, for advice.
It is essential to seek guidance from Library staff when preparing for validation or review. Programme Teams are urged to contact the Library as early as possible in the planning process.
Thematic and Professional Services Review
QMU undertakes periodic thematic and professional services reviews. The format of these is flexible, depending on the area(s) and themes to be covered. The process for this type of review mirrors the academic review process. It is therefore a three stage process as follows: 1) submission of a Reflective Document; 2) a series of meetings with a Panel comprising staff and student representation; and 3) follow up action in response to recommendations. The following publication provides further information and guidance:
For advice on all aspects of validation and review at QMU, including thematic and professional services review, please contact Dawn Martin Assistant Secretary, Governance and Quality Enhancement