Applications should NOT be made via QMU online application form. Please see the 'Entry requirements and application information' tab below for more information.
Mammography - MSc/PgDip/PgCert
This MSc/PgDip/PgCert in Mammography course is for radiographers who are currently working in a clinical environment within mammography services and who want to develop advanced level clinical skills and critical and reflective thinking in practice.
A postgraduate qualification in mammography is essential for radiographers working within the National Breast Screening Programmes. This modular, practice-based MSc in Mammography course will enable you to follow a pathway within mammography leading to advancement in specialist clinical skills.
The course is run in partnership with the Scottish Academy of Breast Imaging (SABI) based at the West of Scotland Breast Screening Centre in Glasgow. It is delivered part-time over 1-7 years.
- Collaboration provides the optimum learning experience: The collaboration between QMU and Scottish Academy of Breast Imaging (SABI) allows you to benefit from input from practice-based NHS clinical experts and professional higher education academics. This collaborative approach has allowed SABI and QMU to work together for over 20 years in delivering breast imaging courses both in Scotland and further afield to the wider UK and Ireland.
- Flexible study route: Delivered part-time, this course fits ideally around your work commitments.
- Expertise: You will be taught by the SABI Clinical Training Team and NHS radiologists, consultant radiographers, breast surgeons, advanced practice mammographers, breast care nurses, and other NHS professionals working with breast care services.
- Support: You will have a named clinical trainer throughout your time studying on the PgCert Mammography who will support you both clinically and academically while you study with us.
- Professional accreditation: The course is accredited by the Society and College of Radiographers.
Mammography (MSc): More information and what you will achieve
This course will give you the skills needed to become a safe and competent breast imaging specialist. It puts great importance on the link between theory and practical skills, with the practice-based learning element structured to promote the development of advanced-level clinical skills and critical and reflective thinking in clinical practice. These skills will strengthen your ability to work as part of the multidisciplinary team.
Cutting-edge issues of theory and research in mammography will be critically examined to enable you to focus, extend, develop and strengthen skills in mammography to a level of advanced professional competence.
There is a work-based learning element, which is structured to promote the development of advanced-level operational skills and critical and reflective thinking in practice.
How will I be taught?
Structure and exit awards
You can opt to study for the full MSc (180 credits), a PgDip (120 credits) or a PgCert (60 credits).
You can also register as an associate student to complete a single module for continuing professional development (CPD). On completion of a single module, you may wish to complete further modules and progress your studies to a named award.
Teaching, learning and assessment
As this course places the student at the heart of the learning process, you will be expected to take overall responsibility for your learning. You will either attend classes online or at SABI in Glasgow and then carry out further independent work.
This course is delivered using a blended learning approach. Lectures introduce theoretical concepts: specialist talks give an insight on identified areas of breast imaging, tutorials explore some syllabus areas in more depth, and practical learning takes place in your workplace. ‘The Hub’ virtual learning environment is used as an interactive learning resource throughout the modules.
A variety of assessment methods are used including essays, portfolios, presentations, practice-based assessments and case studies.
There is no formal placement on this course, but there is a work-based learning element that you will carry out with your current employer.
Teaching hours and attendance
For the three modules required for completion of the PgCert Mammography, students will attend online teaching blocks and attend either the West of Scotland Breast Screening Centre or South East of Scotland Breast Screening Centre for one week of clinical training with a SABI Clinical Trainer. For additional specialist clinical skills modules students will attend for five days. The Research Methods, Education and Dissertation modules are delivered online.
Class sizes are variable and can range from approximately 8-25.
You can read more about the teaching staff on this course at the bottom of this page. Please note that teaching staff is subject to change.
To obtain a PgCert Mammography, you will complete the following modules:
- Mammography and Person-Centred Care (20 credits)
- Mammography Practice-Based Learning (20 credits)
- Advanced Mammography Skills (20 credits)
To obtain a PgDip (120 credits), you could also complete a combination of the following modules:
- Research Methods (20/30 credits)
- Mammographic Image Interpretation (40 credits)
- X-Ray Guided Interventional Breast Procedures (20 credits)
- Clinical Breast Examination and Communication (20 credits)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Breast Ultrasound (60 credits).
To obtain an MSc (180 credits), you must complete a dissertation (60 credits)
NB The modules listed are correct at time of posting (October 2022) but are subject to change. In the event that modules change, QMU will seek to use reasonable endeavours to ensure that there is no detrimental impact on students.
This course is part of CPD and is designed to improve the delivery of the breast care service. Gaining this qualification may enhance your career prospects within the profession of radiography.
PgCert Mammography: March, August & November
Mammographic Image Interpretation: March
X-Ray Guided Interventional Breast Procedures: October
Clinical Breast Examination and Communication: November
Mammography (MSc): Entry requirements and application information
- A degree or diploma in Diagnostic Radiography or Therapeutic Radiography with HCPC registration, or equivalent.
- Current employment in a clinical environment offering mammography experience.
- Some modules may require individuals to be working in the specific area of practice and have the support of a line manager and work place mentor.
International: You will be required to provide evidence of English language competence at no less than IELTS 6.5 and no individual component score below 6.0.
Recognition of prior learning: You may be granted exemption from studying a module or modules up to a maximum of 60 credit points, provided you can demonstrate successful achievement of all the learning outcomes.
Applying for this course
Applications should be made directly to the Scottish Academy of Breast Imaging (SABI) - contact Maureen McAuley .
Terms and Conditions
The delivery of this course is subject to the terms and conditions set out in our 2024/25 Entry - Terms and Conditions (Postgraduate).
More information and contacts
Opportunities to meet us
Become your best you: study at QMU