PGDE (Secondary) School Placements
Welcome to the PGDE (Secondary) Home Economics, Business Education and RMPS School Placement Resource Area
2023/24 Dates for School Placements are:
Placement 1a - Orientation 2 - 6 October 2023
Placement 1b - 30 October 2023 - 15 December 2023
Placement 2a - 5 February 2024 - 29 March 2024
Placement 2b - 6 May 2024 - 31 May 2024
School Experience Resources
All of the documents below can be printed out using File/Print. In the case of Word forms these are designed to be saved to your local file space using File/Save as and then completed on-screen before saving again.
The following is an overview of our shared assessment practices during school placements:
- We will offer a Microsoft Teams meeting for all School staff involved in supporting our students.
- Teams will provide a regular virtual meeting space for School-Based Educators (i.e. SBEs/Mentors) to liaise with University staff.
- Students will be invited to regular group meetings on Teams with their University-Based Educator (UBE) to discuss professional progress.
- Students will record and retain all evidence of their progress in their Digital Professional Development Portfolios, known as their ‘PebblePad’ workbook. University staff will have access to these and will monitor them closely.
- Students have been provided with an SPR tracking document called 'My SPR Focus' which sits within PebblePad to use for self-evaluation tracking purposes of their progress against the GTCS Standard.
- Students will use a Weekly Review Form (a tool for dialogue with their Mentor) to set weekly targets and review progress. These can be shared electronically through the PebblePad App with the supporting teachers and the student will be responsible for uploading signed copies of these to the Digital PDPs each week.
- Weekly Reviews will help to inform the Mid-Way Review. The Mid-Way Review will be completed by the Student, with targets agreed with the School Mentor and the student will submit this to the University Drop Box.
- A joint observation lesson with grades agreed between the School-Based Educator (Mentor) and the University-Based Educator will take place within the last 3 weeks of the Placement.
- Summative Placement Report – this will be completed by the School Mentor, in consultation with the University Lecturer, on the penultimate day of placement 1b and no later than Week 9 of Placement 2b. This will be discussed with the student, signed by all parties and the Student will be responsible for uploading this to the University’s Drop Box.
Guidance on how to complete the Summative Report in line with the GTCS (SPR) is available in the School Experience Resources section.
Partnership between Local Authorities, Schools and University
QMU has established partnerships with the following local authorities Edinburgh, East Lothian, Midlothian, West Lothian, Scottish Borders and Fife. Educational representatives from these authorities have been closely involved in the design and development of the new Education programmes. From 2019-20 QMU’s partnership with these authorities will form part of the wider Edinburgh Early Phase Partnership along with Napier University and Moray House.
Whilst each university will retain its distinctive Programme partnership elements, the wider partnership will enable all stakeholders to meet regularly to discuss school experience and partnership related developments including the sharing of good practice with local authority partners.
If you need to contact a member of the team, please note that we can be reached on the emails below:
PGDE Programme Leader: Dr Linda Craig
Associate Head of PSE: Dr Simon Hoult
Partnership and Placement Officer: Wendy Kolossy
General Shared Mailbox: ITEPlacements@qmu.ac.uk