Access to IT Accounts and Electronic Resources
Key staff at partner institutions can be provided with Queen Margaret University IT accounts in order to gain access to resources such as the library and the Hub (QMU’s virtual Learning Environment). 'Key staff' normally includes Programme Leaders, Module Co-ordinators and Programme Administrators.
- Teaching staff CVs must be approved before IT accounts are set up. CVs for new staff should be sent to the Collaborative Academic Lead to be approved.
- Once the CV is approved the Collaborative Academic Lead should provide this to the Collaborations team at firstname.lastname@example.org who will liaise with IT to get the QMU account set up.
- Once the IT account is live, IT will email log on details to the new account holder, using the non-QMU email address supplied on the CV
- The Collaborations Administrative Officers will then add new account holders to Hub sites required.
- Please note that because there are various stages to this process, it can take up to two weeks to complete. We will try to process new accounts as quickly as possible but sometimes there can be delays.
The best way to manage your password is to register for Self-Service Password Reset. Visit aka.ms/ssprsetup in your web browser and complete the sign-up process using your existing @qmu.ac.uk email address and password. You will be asked for some details that will allow the system to verify who you are when you need to reset your password.
After you complete the registration process you can use aka.ms/sspr or click on "Can't access your account?" on the sign-on page to reset or unlock your account from any device.
Advice on requirements of password can be found in our IT Services Support page.
For support in resetting passwords or other issues relating to access to QMU please email Assist@qmu.ac.uk
IT accounts expire after one year. Expiry dates are monitored by the Partnership Development Officer. Every year we will liaise with the partner institution to confirm who is still teaching on the programme, which accounts to extend and which to disable. Accounts will be disabled if we are told that staff have left.
More information about using QMU's library resources can be found on the Library website.
Information about the Hub and other applications can be found in the Learning Technologies web pages.
Each student matriculated at QMU is provided with a University email address and network account, which will be fully operational within 24 hours of matriculation.
Subject to the agreement with the partner institution, students will normally have access to QMU electronic resources (texts, journals and databases). For those that do, Learning Resource Centre inductions can be arranged where staff will explain to students how to use the resources. A suitable time for this should be negotiated with the Liaison Services Manager (contact either the Collaborative Academic Lead or Academic Administration for help). Similarly, for students with on-site library access, induction sessions can be arranged – just ask at the LRC Service Desk.
For those programmes that use the QMU Hub, students will be given access to Hub sites once they are fully matriculated and the Academic Administration has registered them on their modules. If there is a problem with a student's access, contact Collaborations@qmu.ac.uk to check the student's record.