Janet Thomas (MSc, BSc (Hons), PgCert, MCSP) is a Lecturer in the Dietetics, Nutrition & Biological Sciences, Physiotherapy, Podiatry & Radiography Division.
- Research Interests
- Research Publications
- Teaching & Learning
I qualified as a physiotherapist in 1986, working clinically in England and Scotland before having a career break when my children were small. On my return to work I specialized in Older Peoples Rehabilitation, with my MSc research focused on falls risk in frailer older adults and further research following on from this to inform suitability for onward rehabilitation following a fall . I am a past secretary and chair of AGILE: Chartered Physiotherapists working with Older People and now am the UK representative to IPTOP, liaising internationally to promote physiotherapy for older people. I now have two complementary roles, working as a team lead physiotherapist in older people’s rehabilitation as well as my post at QMU which focusses on practice based education, working to develop practice based education for students and supporting educators in practice. My other interest is in developing professionally through the use of social media and I am the co founder of @physiotalk, leading tweetchats fortnightly for physiotherapists.
Affiliations/Memberships to Other Organisations:
- Work for 0.5 WTE as Team Lead Physiotherapist for NHS Fife
- UK representative to IPTOP (International Association for Physical Therapists working with Older People)
- Co founder of @physiotalk – Tweetchats for Physiotherapists
My past research has focused on Falls risk in older adults, being awarded a grant by EastREN for this work following on from my MSc project.
Active Research Interests:
- Currently developing a project to evaluate the impact of taking part in tweetchats and associated social media on continuing professional development.
Practice based education – preparing students for placement based modules and supporting educators preparation for taking students on practice placements.
- P1126: Introduction to professional studies
- P2139: Practice based learning
- P3123: Practice based learning
- P3124: Practice based learning
- P4143: Practice based learning
- P4144: Practice based learning
- P3125: Advancing professional development in practice based learning
- P3126: Neuromusculoskeletal Physiotherapy Practice 2
- P4148: Introduction to teaching, learning and assessment for practice education
- P4149: Facilitating PBL for health and social care professionals
- PM095: Preparing for practice as an allied health professional
- PM077: Neuromusculoskeletal studies 2
- PM086: Advancing Clinical Skills