- This course will not be taking part in our Undergraduate Open Days.
- Applications should NOT be made via QMU online application form. Please see the 'application' tab below for more information.
Mammography - HE Cert
This HE Cert in Mammography course is for individuals who are currently working in a clinical environment within mammography services and who want to develop clinical skills, critical skills, and reflective thinking in practice.
A Higher Education Certificate qualification in mammography is essential for Assistant Practitioners working within the National Breast Screening Programmes. This modular, practice-based course will enable you to follow a pathway within mammography leading to mammography clinical skills.
The course is run in partnership with the Scottish Academy of Breast Imaging based at the West of Scotland Breast Screening Centre in Glasgow. It is delivered part-time over one year.
- Collaboration provides optimum learning experience: The collaboration between QMU and Scottish Academy of Breast Imaging (SABI) allows you to benefit from input from practice-based NHS clinical experts and professional higher education academics. This collaborative approach has allowed SABI and QMU to work together for over 20 years in delivering Breast Imaging courses both in Scotland and further afield to the wider UK and Ireland.
- Flexible study route: Delivered part-time, this course fits ideally around your work commitments.
- Staff expertise: You will be taught by the SABI Clinical Training Team and NHS Radiologists, Consultant Radiographers, Breast Surgeons, Advanced Practice Mammographers, Breast Care Nurses, and other NHS professionals working with Breast Care Services.
- Professional accreditation: The course is accredited by the Society and College of Radiographers.
- Support: You will have a named clinical trainer throughout your time studying on the HE Cert Mammography who will support you both clinically and academically while you study with us.
HE Cert Mammography: The course in brief
This course will give you the skills needed to become a safe and competent Mammographer (Assistant Practitioner). It puts great importance on the link between theory and practical skills, with the practice-based learning element structured to promote the development of clinical skills and critical and reflective thinking in clinical practice. These skills will strengthen your ability to work as part of the multidisciplinary team.
Cutting-edge issues of theory and research in mammography will be examined to enable you to focus, extend, develop and strengthen skills in mammography and in writing academic papers.
There is a work-based learning element, which is structured to promote the development of clinical skills and critical and reflective thinking in practice.
How will I be taught?
You can opt to study for the full HE Cert or you can also register as an associate student to complete a single module for continuing professional development (CPD). On completion of a single module, you may wish to complete further modules and progress your studies to a named award. Contact Contact Maureen McAuley for further information on single module study.
Teaching, learning and assessment
As this course places the student at the heart of the learning process, you will be expected to take overall responsibility for your learning. You will attend classes online or at SABI in Glasgow and then carry out further independent work.
This course is delivered using a blended learning approach. Lectures introduce theoretical concepts: specialist talks give an insight on identified areas of breast imaging, tutorials explore some syllabus areas in more depth, and practical learning takes place in your workplace. ‘The Hub’ virtual learning environment is used as an interactive learning resource throughout the modules.
A variety of assessment methods are used including essays, portfolios, practice-based assessments and case studies.
Teaching hours and attendance
For the five modules required for completion of the HECert in Mammography, students will attend online teaching blocks and attend either the West of Scotland Breast Screening Centre or South East of Scotland Breast Screening Centre for one week of clinical training with a SABI Clinical Trainer.
There is no formal placement on this course, but there is a work-based learning elements that you will carry out with your current employer.
Class sizes are variable and can range from approximately 2-10.
What will I learn?
To obtain a HE Cert Mammography, you will complete the following modules:
- Production of the X-Ray Image (20 credits)
- Breast Anatomy and Disease (20 credits)
- Mammography Practice for Assistant Practitioners (40 credits)
- Mammography Practice for Assistant Practitioners (20 credits)
- Person-Centredness in the Breast Care Service (20 credits)
NB The modules listed here are correct at time of posting (Feb 2023) but may differ slightly to those offered in 2024. Please check back here for any updates.
This course is part of CPD and is designed to improve the delivery of the breast care service. Gaining this qualification may enhance your career prospects within the profession of radiography.
HE Cert Mammography: Entry requirements and application information
Current employment in a clinical environment offering mammography experience.
International: You will be required to provide evidence of English language competence at no less than IELTS 6.5 and no individual component score below 6.0.
Some modules may require individuals to be working in the specific area of practice and have the support of a line manager and work place mentor.
Accreditation of prior learning: You may be granted exemption from studying a module or modules up to a maximum of 60 credit points, provided you can demonstrate successful achievement of all the learning outcomes.
Applying for this course
Applications should be made directly to the Scottish Academy of Breast Imaging (SABI). Contact Maureen McAuley .
Terms and Conditions
The delivery of this course is subject to the terms and conditions set out in our 2024/25 Entry Terms and Conditions (Undergraduate).
Become your best you: study at QMU
Start Your ApplicationApply for this Course
Join us at one of our Undergraduate Open Days 2023
Our UG open days will give you an opportunity to meet academic staff, find out more about our undergraduate degree courses, attend course and general information presentations, chat to current students, and explore our modern campus.Undergraduate Open Days - Book Now