Application for Financial Assistance

Applications for 2023/2024 are now open

Applications to the Childcare fund, the Nursing Discretionary fund and the International Hardship fund (for students from outside the UK) for 2023/2024 are now open. Applications for the Discretionary fund open at the end of September, any applications received before then will be considered after that date.

Please note that in the past the academic years 2020/21 and 2021/22 the university received a substantial increase in the Discretionary funds in order to help students with pandemic related hardship, including students from outside the UK. This funding has now come to an end and the funds have returned to pre-pandemic levels. This means that it is unlikely that students will be able to be supported in the way that they may have been during the academic years 2020/21 and 2021/22, with successful applicants receiving lower awards. This applies especially to students from outside the UK as the International Hardship Fund returns to being a small fund provided by the university.


The form can be used for those that wish to apply to the Discretionary Fund, the Childcare Fund, the Nursing Discretionary Fund and the International Hardship Fund. The form does not have a ‘save’ facility so you should ensure that you have all the information required as you will need to complete sections on your income and expenditure. If you are an undergraduate student we need you to show income and expenditure for the academic year (8 months) so for example in the box marked ‘Student Loan’ you will show your whole loan for the year and in ‘Rent/Mortgage’ you will show your monthly payments multiplied by 8. Postgraduate students will show their income/expenditure for their academic year which could be 12 months or less. There are amounts for the standard academic year that are regarded as reasonable, these should be multiplied up for those living with a partner and/or dependent children-

  • Books & Stationery - £400
  • Food & Personal items - £2,000
  • Clothing - £400

You will have to include a personal statement that outlines your financial situation and the particular reasons that you are applying.


The minimum evidence required will be a copy of the letter confirming your student funding from your funding authority along with bank statements from all bank accounts held, that cover at least 8 weeks. Please note that bank statements must be in that form, not snapshots of banking apps and must show the students name, account number and sort code on at least one page. Students applying for help with childcare will have to supply evidence of their child’s registration with a nursery/childminder with a statement from the provider about weekly or monthly costs.

Students that live with a partner will have to show their partners net income for the academic year and provide 8 week bank statements from all bank accounts held jointly and by their partner.

If you are applying for a particular reason such as rent arrears or issues to do with a health condition then appropriate evidence should be supplied, for example a rent arrears statement from a landlord or letter from your GP.

Please note there is no upload facility with the application and all evidence should be scanned and sent by email to Normally only properly scanned copies of evidence can be accepted. If you have any questions about evidence then please email

Applying for financial assistance

Funding Enquiries

The University offers a Funding Advice Service for all students.

Show Contacts

Funding Enquiries

Bill Stronach Student Funding Adviser 0131 474 0000