Assessment of Criminal Convictions
If you have a criminal conviction, you should have declared this on your application form. If a declaration has been made, the nature of the conviction will have been investigated and a decision made on whether or not you may be admitted to the programme.
We would like to emphasise that a criminal record does not automatically prevent you from joining a programme. However, failure to disclose a criminal conviction is a disciplinary offence. Failure to declare on your application form and/or providing misleading information will result in your being asked to withdraw from your programme.
Students of certain programmes at QMU are required to complete a clinical placement. Duties on these placements may involve caring for children and vulnerable adults.
In line with NHS policy and Scottish Government regulations, students will not be allowed to undertake clinical placement until the appropriate criminal record checks have been made.
Below is a list of the specific programmes this covers at QMU:
- BA (Hons) Education Studies · BA (Hons) Education Studies (Primary) · BSc Paramedic Science · BSc (Hons) Podiatry / Master of Podiatry
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy / Master of Physiotherapy
- BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography / Master of Radiography: Diagnostic
- BSc (Hons) Therapeutic Radiography / Master of Radiography: Therapeutic
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy / Master of Occupational Therapy
- BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy / Master of Speech and Language Therapy
- BSc (Hons) Dietetics / Master of Dietetics
- BSc (Hons) Nursing / Master of Nursing
- MSc/PgDip (pre-reg) Dietetics
- MSc/PgDip (pre-reg) Occupational Therapy
- MSc/PgDip (pre-reg) Physiotherapy
- MSc/PgDip (pre-reg) Speech and Language Therapy
- MSc/PgDip (pre-reg) Audiology
- MSc/PgDip (pre-reg) Diagnostic Radiography
- PgDip Radiotherapy & Oncology
- MSc Art Psychotherapy
- MSc Music Therapy
- MSc Person Centred Practice (professional pathways only)
- PGDE Secondary (Home Economics)
BA (Hons) Drama/ Performance/ Theatre and Film students may also require a PVG Scheme Record for working with Children, depending on their specialism/dissertation projects. These are normally applied for during their second year of study (for specialisms) or third year for Honours projects. BSc
(Hons) Physical Activity, Health & Wellbeing and BSc (Hons) Nutrition students may also require a PVG Scheme Record for working with Children, depending on their placement experience, and this will be advised by the Programme Leader when required.
As you may have been advised in your offer from Admissions, you need to provide “a satisfactory PVG check from Disclosure Scotland and/or equivalent police check.” If you have not applied for this yet, please do so as a matter of urgency.
New UK students should have already received a PVG application pack from the Admissions office. However, if you do require a new pack, please contact the Admissions Office.
For International or European applicants, this is in addition to a comparable check from the police in your home country. While we appreciate that the process is likely to be difficult depending on nationality, students are nevertheless asked to investigate the availability of alternative forms of evidence of their personal record.
Queen Margaret University
General EnquiriesShow Contacts