Employers' Code of Practice | QMUCE
Employers' Code of Practice - QMU Careers & Employability (QMUCE)
- QMUCE will endeavour to assist employers in locating suitable student employees but reserves the right not to advertise an employer's vacancy without stating the reason.
- The employer must make clear the nature of the work offered and specify any necessary skills required, the proposed wages, hours, annual leave and other items.
- It is the responsibility of the employer to let all candidates know the result of an application as soon as possible, and also to inform QMUCE where applicable.
- It is the duty of the employer to meet all statutory legal requirements with regard to students employed via QMUCE. In particular the employer is reminded of their legal responsibilities to adhere to the following:
- Payment of the national minimum wage: Payment of National Insurance Contributions, tax, or where appropriate, submission of Declaration of Income Forms to the Inland Revenue.
- Adherence to health and safety regulations and provision of adequate insurance.
- Compliance with legislation against discrimination on the basis of disability, ethnic origin, gender, age or any other legally protected characteristic.
- Employers are responsible to find out legal requirements on employing non-UK students and the UK work restrictions they may be subject to, including any cap on hours.
- For updated employment legislation visit: Employing People
- Employers should be aware of students' study obligations and not ask them to work an excessive number of hours during term-time. A maximum of 20 hours per week is recommended during term time.
- The employers shall satisfy themselves at to the suitability of any employee and shall be responsible for taking up any references provided by the employee.
- Queen Margaret University shall not be liable for any loss, injury or claim etc. incurred by the employer as a result of employment of the student.
- Any employer not wishing their information to be passed either wholly or in part to any third party should make this known to QMUCE. This is our privacy statement.
- We select high quality vacancies, with regards to conditions and/or experience gained, to further advertise to students via our internal careers bulletin and social media accounts. Should you not wish us to do this, please contact us. Fulfilment of this request is at the discretion of QMUCE.
- All the work experience vacancies that we advertise must comply with current UK and AGCAS standards. We will advertise some unpaid opportunities, but only for charities.