Person-Centred Practice - MSc/PgDip/PgCert
As part of our Person-Centred Practice Framework, this MSc/PgDip/PgCert Person-Centred Practice course is designed to meet the professional needs of practitioners from all disciplines working in a variety of different health and care system settings and will give you a valuable, career-expanding qualification in person-centred practice.
The course is delivered both full and part-time with start dates in both September and January each year.
- Suitable for a range of practitioners: Modules on this course will be of interest to a range of health and social care practitioners and you will benefit by learning alongside people working in different areas/roles.
- Contemporary, creative and interactive learning approaches: The learning environment will generate an ethos of engagement where students can explore and challenge theories, practices and different sources of knowledge creatively in an atmosphere of high challenge and high support.
- Staff expertise and support: You will be taught by a team of academic staff who have a wide range of theoretical, practical and research experience in the formulation, implementation, delivery and evaluation of person-centred practice.
- Our reputation: We have a reputation at QMU for innovative curriculum design, being supportive and responsive to learners and extensive online resources.
- Relevance: Our conceptualization of person-centredness is consistent with the WHO Framework of ‘people-centred healthcare’.
- Professional links: We are the Omega-Xi Chapter of Sigma Global, the only global nursing leadership organisation and with partnerships, collaborations and networks across more than 27 countries.
Person-Centred Practice - MSc/PgDip/PgCert: More information and what you will achieve
The course will allow you to develop an understanding of the knowledge and evidence that positively contribute to the health and wellbeing of persons, groups and populations. You will develop critical thinking, professional reasoning and research knowledge and skills to develop practice in a way that is informed by evidence and that is person-centred.
There are two core modules that you undertake to enable you to work towards a PgCert. You then have the option to study modules that are appropriate to your desired option or professional background
How will I be taught?
Structure and exit awards
You can exit with a PgCert (60 credits), PgDip (120 credits) or an MSc (180 credits).
You can also register as an associate student to complete a single module for CPD. On completion of a single module, you may wish to complete further modules and progress your studies to a named award. Contact Temitayo Odewusi for further information on single module study.
Teaching, learning and assessment
You will attend classes, work in groups and carry out independent learning. We want our students to engage in the learning experiences, have a readiness to listen and explore, be prepared to be open to experiences and a resolve to keep going. Students will be supported to challenge their thinking, values and beliefs, through the posing of complex activities and questions, and develop resilient and sustainable approaches to their learning and practice in response to these. Critical to this process is the use of diverse knowledge, scholarly inquiry processes and evidence-informed materials to engage and enliven the processes of learning.
Assessment strategies will encourage application to practice. This will be achieved through the use of varied strategies that draw on the student’s own areas of practice such as portfolio development, practice proposals, annotated bibliographies, simulation events, games, seminar presentations and self-determined contextual assignment topics. Tutor, peer and self-assessment, including within virtual environments (eg HUB@QMU), will be an important component of approaches to formative and summative assessment.
Teaching hours and attendance
Your attendance requirements at QMU will depend on the module you are studying and whether you are studying full-time or part-time.
Class sizes vary.
You can read more about the teaching staff on this course at the bottom of this page. Please note that teaching staff is subject to change.
To achieve a PgCert you will need to complete:
- Theory and Practice of Person-centred Health and Wellbeing (20 credits)
- Leading Person-centred Practice for Health and Wellbeing (20 credits)
- plus an elective 20 credit module from a chosen array
To achieve a PgDip, you will need to undertake a further 60 credits from an array of modules that include:
- Developing Professional Practice (20/40 credits)
- Risk and Resilience (20 credits)
- Advancing Practice in Clinical Assessment (20 credits)
- Making Judgements and Decisions in Practice (20 credits)
- Independent Study (20 credits)
To achieve a MSc, you will also complete a dissertation (60 credits).
NB The modules listed are correct at time of posting (October 2022) but are subject to change. In the event that modules change, QMU will seek to use reasonable endeavours to ensure that there is no detrimental impact on students.
Graduates have taken up advanced specialist practice and leadership roles within their specialist field of practice.
Person-Centred Practice MSc/PgDip/PgCert: Entry requirements and application information
Candidates will normally be graduates with evidence of relevant recent academic study.
International: You will be required to provide evidence of English language competence at no less than IELTS 6.5 with no individual component score less than 6.0.
This course is unfortunately not open to International Students who require a student visa to study in the U.K
Applying for this course
For more information on applying, or to apply for this course, please follow the links in the 'Start your application' box at the top right of this page.
Terms and Conditions
The delivery of this course is subject to the terms and conditions set out in our 2023/24 Entry - Terms and Conditions (Postgraduate).
More information and QMU contacts
Contact Temitayo Odewusi (Programme Leader) or contact Admissions
Opportunities to meet us
Become your best you: study at QMU
Start Your ApplicationApply for this Course
Courses You Might Also Like
- MSc/PgDip/PgCert Person-Centred Practice (Palliative Care)
- PgCert Person-Centred Practice (Advanced Forensic Nursing Practice)
- MSc/PgDip/PgCert Person-Centred Practice (Advancing Care Home Practice)
- PgDip Person-Centred Practice (District Nursing)
- PgDip Person-Centred Practice (Health Visiting)
- PgDip Person-Centred Practice (School Nursing)