Current Students - Life in the UK

Current Students

Keeping Healthy

An immigration health surcharge will be required to be paid by those who apply for a visa to come to the UK to study for more than six months. This means that health surcharge payers will be able to access the National Health Service in the same way as a permanent resident, i.e. they will receive NHS care generally free of charge but may be charged for services a permanent resident would also pay for, such as dental treatment.

The health surcharge is payable in full at the time of the immigration application. The amount charged will be calculated based on the amount of time a migrant would be permitted to stay in the UK. Further information about the immigration health surcharge can be found on the government website.

It is advisable to register with a doctor once you are settled in your accommodation. If you are living on campus you can register with our local GP by picking up a form at our Student Services reception desk.

Student medical services at the University are delivered in partnership with:

The Riverside Practice
Musselburgh Primary Care Centre
Inveresk Road
East Lothian
EH21 7BP
Telephone: 0131 446 4171

For more information on keeping healthy while you are in the UK please read information produced by the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Culture Shock

It is very common for international students to suffer from culture shock at some point during their studies. UKCISA have produced a useful information sheet which you might find helpful and reassuring.

Please remember that if you need to talk to anybody you can speak to somebody from the International Office or arrange to meet with the Student Counsellor.

It has even been known for students to suffer from reverse culture shock when returning back home. More information about reverse culture shock can be found on UKCISA.

Contact us

For further information, please contact the International Office.