Research Degree Funding

An important part of your decision to undertake doctoral studies will be to identify how you will fund the tuition fees and living costs.

QMU bursaries

QMU offers a small number of University funded PhD bursaries each year that cover specific topics for research.

These are typically advertised on the QMU website homepage in February each year. 

Other funding routes

Students who wish to select their own topic for study may apply as a self-funded student; and will therefore need to independently finance their study or arrange funding from other sources. For example, students may be able to secure funding through their employer or by applying to an externally funded scholarship.

Funding for prospective students from England

Loans up to £25,700 are available for doctoral study for prospective doctoral researchers normally resident in England (UK nationals and those with settled status).  Eligible students must be ‘ordinarily resident’ in England and under 60 years of age on the first day of the degree programme. The loans can be used for fees and living costs to study at any university in the UK on a PhD programme lasting between three and eight years, including universities and higher education institutions in Scotland.  Please check the Student Finance England website for further information about eligibility and applying for a loan.

Costs of study

Tuition fees are subject to review annually. Fees information for both PhD and Professional Doctorate study can be found on our Fees and Charges section.

Cost of living

Not only do you need to think about how you will pay for your course, but you also need to think about the general cost of living.

A basic guide to the cost of living in Edinburgh for 50 weeks of the year is given below.

Item Per Week
Accommodation £99-£116 (£4,950-£5,800 per year)
Food £25-£50 (£1,250-£2,500 per year)
Travel £10 (£500 per year)
Other Living Costs £40-£60 (£2,000-£3,000 per year)
Total £164-£236 (£8,200-£11,800 per year)

Accommodation costs are based on prices of the University Halls of Residence (50 week lease 2014/5 ) which include heating, electricity and internet. You can rent a flat privately in Edinburgh and the cost will vary depending on the size of the flat and the location. You will also have to budget for the costs of travel to and from QMU. The cost of food and other living costs (such as books, clothes, phone, travel, photocopying, hobbies, etc) will also vary greatly between individuals.

International students requiring a Student Route visa will be expected to show money for living costs and tuition fees when you apply for your visa. The UK Government can provide further information on applying for Student Route visas.