Step Into Health at QMU
Step into Health @ QMU is a Widening Participation and Outreach project for LEAPS eligible pupils in S5 and S6.
The project is aimed at pupils interested in studying any of the following subjects:
• Occupational Therapy
• Paramedic Science
• Diagnostic Radiography
• Therapeutic Radiography
• Speech & Language Therapy
(Please note, you must be in S5 when starting the programme)
Watch our 6 minute video that explains all about the programme
What is it?
Step into Health @ QMU is a Widening Participation and Outreach project for LEAPS eligible pupils in S5 and S6. The project is aimed at pupils interested in studying Nursing or any of the Allied Health Professions we offer here at QMU.
These degrees require more than just good exam results from school. As part of your application you are required to submit a personal statement and for these subjects we are looking for you to have a good level of knowledge about the role of the health professional in the NHS, and a good level of work experience and volunteering in a related field.
This programme was put together in response to the Covid-19 restrictions that will have affected many work experience placements planned by prospective students.
This programme aims to provide you with experience of studying these subjects at university and gives you an opportunity to gain more insight into the subject of choice as well as providing you with experience to reflect on as part of your personal statement.
We will also support you with impartial advice and guidance on your application to university.
Please be aware that participation does not come with any guarantee of an offer to a course at QMU or any other university, but would support your application in an alternative way. The Admissions team here at QMU would view completion of the programme and all its associated elements favourably.
We have designed this programme so that it can be delivered online as well as in person. Due to current Covid-19 restrictions we will be delivering this programme online until further notice.
Over S5 and S6, we will run subject and career exploration events, which will provide you with valuable insight into your chosen subject area.
All our activities are free of charge and you will receive a workbook which will contain all the instructions and materials required to take part in all aspects of this programme.
• A 1st year lecture, complete with a related activity sheet that you will be asked to complete
• Q&A sessions with current Allied Health students who will provide you with insight into their university experience, help you with assignment preparation and development, and be a mentor to you throughout the programme
• A Campus visit (subject to Covid-19 Restrictions)
• Study Skills Workshops covering essay writing, planning & structure, reflective practice, exam revision & techniques
• A careers talk about health profession roles and volunteering opportunities
• A workshop on identifying your skills and attributes, and how to write about transferable skills in your personal statement
• A Student Life talk & Q&A with current Allied Health students, finishing with some hints and tips around final assignment preparation
You will complete an assignment, either individually or as a group, which will have a submission deadline and will be graded and feedback provided. This will give you practical learning of the assignment system at QMU, as well as enhancing your knowledge in the health profession you chose to research.
Who can join?
This programme is for LEAPS eligible S5 & S6 pupils.
Please note, you must be in S5 when starting the programme.
If you are unsure if you are LEAPS eligible please check out the LEAPS website
And please contact us directly if you have any questions and we will be happy to help you.
Questions or want to take part?
Email email@example.com for information on how to apply.