I recently joined the new ITE Team at QMU and I am currently the Leader for the PGDE Home Economics (Secondary) Programme. From a background of Secondary English teaching, I joined the University of Aberdeen as a Teaching Fellow where, over a period of 10 years, I taught on a range of Undergraduate and Post Graduate ITE Courses. Latterly, I held the role of Co-Director of the Flexible Route to ‘Masters of Education’, but I also supervised students’ research on the MSc ‘Studies in Professional Contexts’ where the focus was on Mindfulness and Health and Wellbeing. As a Work-based University Coach I developed my interest in Mentoring, Organizational Learning and Research in Higher Education. My Doctoral Research focused on Mentoring in Schools’ contexts with an interest in relational approaches to mentoring through dialogues and pedagogies and constructed Professional Identities. The project utilised digital recordings of ‘self’ and ‘other’ in dialogue as a tool for reciprocal learning. I have served as a reviewer for the International Journal of Coaching and Mentoring in Education.
Affiliations (including memberships) to other organisations:
- General Teaching Council (GTCS)
- Scottish Educational Research Association (SERA)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain (PESGB)
- Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE)
- John Macmurray Fellowship
My research interests include approaches to professional learning and pedagogical practices informed by Relational Philosophy and Psychology. I have an interest in the work of Scottish Philosopher John Macmurray and his theories of ‘Persons in Relation’ and ‘Self as Agent’ as they may be applied to educational contexts. I am currently working with the ITE Team on a longitudinal study of how Education students perceive the concept of Social Justice.
Active research interests:
- Professional Learning and the construction of Identities
- Feminist Ethics and Care and Compassion in Education
- Sustainability and Health and Wellbeing
- Teacher Education and Social Justice
- Relational Philosophies of Education
- Social and Relational Constructionism
- Discourse Analysis
- Critical Pedagogies
- Grounded Theory
I currently teach Professional Studies and Critically Reflective Practice on the PGDE Home Economics (Secondary) Programme where I am Programme Leader. My lectures and seminars focus on Diversity, Equality & Wellbeing, Digital Literacies and Society and Sustainable Lifestyles, amongst other topics.