Welcome to the QMentor centre at Queen Margaret University Nursing.
QMentor centre provides information and advice for nurses involved in mentoring nursing students from Queen Margaret University while they are on clinical placement.
Queen Margaret University offers the BSc Hons Nursing pre registration programme leading to registration with NMC in Adult Nursing. Placement Pattern: Academic Year Calendar 2017-18
Policy for Supervision - Mentor Aide Memoir
Year 1 ORA 2017-18 (MS Word Document)
Year 2 ORA 2017-18 (MS Word Document)
Year 3 ORA 2017-18 (MS Word Document)
NMC Standards To Support Learning And Assessment In Practice
Queen Margaret University, Napier University and Edinburgh University work collaboratively in the allocation of placements and support of mentors.
According to the NMC all mentors should;
- Mentors must be on the same part /sub part of the NMC register as the students they assess unless in common foundation programme (1 st year of the programme).
- All registrants who wish to become mentors after 1st September 2007 must have a minimum of 1 year full-time or equivalent part-time post registration experience.
- All Mentors must be able to demonstrate that they have successfully completed an NMC approved mentor preparation programme or comparable preparation that has been accredited by a University as meeting the NMC requirements.
- All Mentors must be recorded on a local database of mentors (PWA /E-Manager).
- All Mentors will undergo a triennial review to demonstrate their fitness to continue to remain on the local database of mentors. Mentors MUST provide evidence that they have mentored at least 2 students within the 3 years period and be able to demonstrate competence and currency as a result of a process of annual updating. The NMC recommend that some of this updating activity should have a face to face component
- Mentors must be available to supervise (either directly or indirectly) students at least 40% of their time in placement.
- Mentors should ensure their assessments of students are both valid and reliable. (NMC requires Mentors/Sign-Off Mentors to collaborate with other mentors/ professionals to support their decision-making around student assessments.
Please let us know if it can be improved in any way by contacting the programme leader Lesley McKinlay
Thank you for mentoring and supervising our students.
Lesley McKinlay Programme Leader BSc Hons Nursing