Paula Gardiner is a Honorary Lecturer in the Nursing Division at Queen Margaret University.
Qualified and working in the separate professions of Neurological Physiotherapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). Current posts · Tutor South of Scotland CBT Programme · Research Clinician for a national RCT & working as part of the Specialist team for FND (CBT & Physio). · Private CBT Practitioner Qualified as a physiotherapist in 1993 specialising in Long term conditions including Functional Neurological Disorders. She completed her Masters in Long Term Conditions in 2009. To enhance her work with this type of patient she went on to complete a research Masters in CBT at the South of Scotland CBT Programme in Edinburgh in 2017. This was looking a CBT for people with Dissociative Seizures. Paula was employed as CBT clinician for a national RCT for people with dissociative seizures for three years. The results have now been published. Paula has had extensive experience in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching including 2nd year medical students at Glasgow University and Registrars in Edinburgh. She has also had experience in conference presentation. Paula spent many years developing and supporting a specialist neurological team for long term conditions in Lanarkshire prior to current employment and worked in collaboration with the psychology team there. Finally, she has trained in KSA assessment with BABCP allowing a greater access to non-core professions into CBT training. Paula has trained in Schema Therapy and Compassion Focused Therapy.
- Tutor South of Scotland CBT Programme
- Research Clinician for a national RCT & working as part of the Specialist team for FND (CBT & Physio)
- Private CBT Practitioner
- Nicholson, C, Edwards, M.J,. Carson, A.J,. Gardiner, P., Golder, D., Hayward, K., Humblestone, S., Jinadu, H., Lumsden, C., MacLean, J., Main, L., MacGregor, L., Nielson, G., Oakley, L., Price, J., Ranford, J., Ranu, J., Sum, Ed., Stone, J. (2020) Occupational therapy consensus recommendations for functional neurological disorder Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry.
- Paula Gardiner et al (2017) Occupational Therapy for Functional Neurological Disorders: a scoping review and agenda for research. CNS Spectrum. 1-8.
- Jon Stone et al (2015) Functional Neurological Disorders: mechanisms and treatment. Journal of Neurology 263(3)
- Jon Stone et al (2016) Functional Disorders in Neurology: Case Studies. Neurologic Clinics 34(3):667–681.
- Sutherland J K, Cowan (Gardiner) P (2005) Using special interest sessions to design and implement a fatigue management group for multiple sclerosis patients. Psychiatry Bulletin 29, 388-391 · Cowan (Gardiner) P (2008) Evidence for the main management and treatment strategies for spasticity in multiple sclerosis. Skills for Nurses no 4 May-June pp 28-30.
- JA Freeman, M Gear, P Cowan et al (2010) The effect of core stability training on balance and mobility in ambulant individuals with MS: A multi-centre series of single case studies. Multiple sclerosis 16(11) 1377-1384.
- JA Freeman, P Cowan (Gardiner), S Hourihan et al (2014) Management of sleep disturbance in Multiple Sclerosis: a survey of current practice in the UK. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing vol 9, 5, 279-285.
- Marietta L. van der Linden Sasha M. Scott, Julie E. Hooper, Paula Cowan (Gardiner), Thomas H. Mercer (2014) Gait kinematics of people with Multiple Sclerosis and the acute application of Functional Electrical Stimulation. Gait and Posture vol 39 (4), 1092-1096.