If you want to leave QMU

If you are a new student and you have not matriculated yet, please contact the Admissions Team directly to withdraw. 

Current students need to complete a withdrawal form to make sure your student record is updated. The date of withdrawal is recorded as the date the form is submitted. This can be important if you receive any funding for your course or pay any fees. Registry will update your student record and the Programme Leader, the Academic Administration and any other relevant departments are notified.


Once you have submitted the online form, you will be sent an email with a link asking you to confirm your withdrawal. Please note that you will not be withdrawn until you have done this. If you do not receive the email, please contact us and we will confirm it for you. 

We are here to help you through the process so if you have any questions just email the Thinking of Leaving team. 

The section below provides information on the consequences of leaving university. 

Financial implications

If you leave within 28 days of the start of your programme of study, you will be charged an administration fee of £250, but all tuition fees will be waived. If you have been awarded SAAS support with tuition fees you will not be liable for this charge.

If you leave more than 28 days after the start of your programme of study, you will be asked to pay the appropriate proportion of the fee based on the semesters attended wholly or in part.

The date of withdrawal is the date that you submit your withdrawal form.

If you are making payment of fees by instalments and withdraw from your programme of study, you will be asked to meet any shortfall between the fees owed and the total amount of the instalments already paid.

You will also need to consider any bursaries, scholarships and loans that you have received for your study. These will be stopped once you withdraw (you need to tell external agencies, such as SAAS, that you have withdrawn), and you may also be responsible for paying back any money that was intended to be spread over a period of time beyond the date of withdrawal.

There may be financial implications concerning your accommodation. Please see Accommodation section for more detail.

Accommodation implications

If you are living in QMU halls of residence then you should speak to the Accommodation Services team as early as possible. You are bound by the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement to continue paying rent for the full duration of your tenancy unless a replacement tenant is found. This is the case regardless of your reason for withdrawal. If you intend to defer your studies and return to QMU the following academic year you would still be liable to pay rent for the duration of your current tenancy agreement. Please contact Accommodation Services for more information.

If you live in private accommodation and plan to leave you should refer to your tenancy agreement to find out how much notice you need to give your landlord. If you intend to stay, you should notify the relevant Council that you have withdrawn, as if you are no longer a full time student you will be liable for Council Tax.

Certificates and references

If you have completed at least one module, there is a possibility that this credit can be applied to a future course of study. If you have completed 120 undergraduate credits (or 60 postgraduate) or more, you may be entitled to an intermediary qualification such as a Certificate of Higher Education. Make sure you talk to your PAT or Registry about this.

Whatever you might be going on to, it is useful to have a referee. You could ask your PAT or a lecturer you know, if they will be willing to provide you with a reference for the future.

If you are an international student

If you are an international student with a Student Route Visa then withdrawing from your course will have serious implications.

A Student Route visa requires you to be enrolled on and attending an approved education provider. If you withdraw from QMU with no plans for study at another approved education provider then UK Visas and Immigration may require you to leave the UK within 60 days of your withdrawal date.

Contact the International Office as soon as possible to discuss any consequences. You can make an appointment by emailing international@qmu.ac.uk.

Next Steps

If you decide to leave QMU you will need to consider your next steps.

Careers and Employability can offer help and support, whether you're going on to employment, or further study.

Study at a different institution - if you are interested in applying for another programme at a different institution, you will need to contact their Admissions department to find out about entry requirements. You may need to apply through UCAS and when you have made a final decision remember to formally withdraw from your course at QMU.  

Thinking of Leaving

For help, advice or if you have any questions please get in touch.

Show Contacts

Thinking of Leaving

Help and Advice 0131 474 0000