Help and Support

Please remember that no matter what situation you are in, there are people at the university and externally who can help you. The earlier you contact the relevant service, the easier it will be for us to help you, allowing you to continue your studies. Our services offer ongoing support and development, they are not just for times of crisis.



Personal Problems

During your time at university, you might experience different challenges which impact on your studies. You might feel homesick when you first start, have issues with accommodation or funding, or feel lonely or anxious. There are a range of different support services available to you during your time at QMU.

Services include Careers and Employability; disability advice; counselling; the Wellbeing Service and student funding. The Students’ Union Helpzone also offers support. Further details on all the services which are available are in the Student Guide to Services at QMU.

If you are an international student and need advice about visas and immigration, please contact the International Office. You can make an appointment by emailing

Academic Problems

Your first point of contact for any academic issues should be your Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) or Programme Leader. If you are not sure who your PAT is, check on the Student Portal. PATs can advise and support you with academic progress and act as a link with other academic staff.  

The Effective Learning Service (ELS) based in the LRC (room 1153) can help with study skills support e.g. developing academic writing or revision and exam techniques.

Free, confidential, one-to-one help with academic writing is available from our Royal Literary Fund Fellows. They are available to discuss your essay, report, dissertation, thesis or other academic writing. To make an appointment email:

Further details on all services are available in the Student Guide to Services at QMU.

Course options

If you are considering leaving university, there are other options you could consider:

Adapt current course

You might be able to adapt your current course to be more appropriate to your needs. For example, some courses have optional modules that you could choose if these suited you better. As well as the subject content, many modules vary their assessment methods so this could mean more exams if you like exams, or more essays, if you prefer essays. You should speak to your Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) to find out if this option would be available to you.

Transfer Course

If you are interested in a different programme at QMU, you should speak with the relevant Admissions Tutor to discuss entry requirements. It might not be possible to join another programme until the next academic year.

If you're not sure about which programme or subject area you would like to move to, it might be a good idea to make an appointment with a Careers Adviser who will be able to talk through future work opportunities in various subjects.

Change Mode of Study

If your circumstances have changed, or you are finding full-time study too much then it may be possible to change to part-time. To find out if this option is possible, please speak with your Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) or Programme Leader first. There will be financial implications e.g. to funding and student status for Council Tax purposes.

Thinking of Leaving

For help, advice or if you have any questions please get in touch.

Show Contacts

Thinking of Leaving

Help and Advice 0131 474 0000