Queen Margaret University is a Title IV School and is therefore authorised by the US Department of Education to certify applications (for eligible students) for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Our Federal School Code is G33494.

Financial Aid Eligibility Requirements
To receive aid, including Federal Direct Stafford and PLUS Loans, a student must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Must be a student enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible programme at an eligible institution.
  • Must have a high school diploma
  • Must be enrolled at least half-time for the period for which the loan is originated
  • Must comply with the University's satisfactory academic progress policy
  • Must not be convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs while receiving financial aid
  • Must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security number
  • Must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year
  • If male and age 18-25, must be registered for Selective Service
  • Must not be in default on an educational loan and must not owe a repayment on an adjusted federal grant

Ineligible Programmes

  • Distance Learning*
  • Diploma and Certificate Programmes*
  • BSc (Hons) in Nursing*
  • Non-degree programmes*
  • Study abroad/exchange students (apply for loans through your home school)
  • Degrees studied via collaborative/partner institutions.

*Students may be eligible to apply for a private education loan.



1 - Complete a FAFSA

You will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The US Dept. of Education opens FAFSA applications in January for the next academic year. QMU will start processing these in June once US Department of Education Loans systems are updated.

  • Apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
  • You require a PIN. Apply for a PIN to complete your application: www.PIN.ed.gov.
  • Our school code is G33494.
  • You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please review this and make any corrections necessary.
  • Email USLoans@qmu.ac.uk to confirm that your SAR is complete. Please note that you need to notify QMU that you have applied for a loan as we are NOT automatically notified once you complete your FAFSA.
  • We will download your SAR, provide details of how much you can borrow and guidelines on what to do next.
  • Review the details we provide, decide how much you would like to borrow and inform us of your decision.

Continuing students should complete a FAFSA every year using the same PIN as in their initial application.

2 – Complete your Master Promissory Note (MPN)

You must complete a new Direct Loan Master Promissory Note. The MPN is the legal document through which you promise to repay your Direct Loans and any accrued interest and fees to the Department. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loans.

Students at QMU and all institutions outside of the US are required to complete MPNs each year.

The university cannot approve your loan until this has been done.

Although you may have previously signed an MPN to receive Direct Loans, these MPNs cannot be used to make an application for Direct Loans at the QMU.

If taking out both Stafford and a Plus Loan you need to complete both types of MPNs.

  • Complete the MPN at www.studentloans.gov.
  • You require a PIN. This is the same number as used for your FAFSA.
  • Our school code is G33494.
  • Complete an MPN for each type of loan you are borrowing (Stafford/ Plus).
  • You can print the MPN document and keep it for your records.

3 - Complete Entrance Counselling

Entrance Loan Counselling must also be completed by you so that you have confirmed that you understand the implications of taking these loans.

The university cannot approve your loan until this has been done.

  • Complete Entrance Counselling at www.studentloans.gov.
  • You require a PIN. This is the same number as used for your FAFSA.
  • Complete counselling for each type of loan you are borrowing (Stafford/ Plus).
  • You do not have to send evidence of this as we can verify completion online.
  1. Credit Check (Grad Plus Loans only).

If you are eligible and it is your intention to borrow a Grad Plus Loan, this type of loan is credit based.

  • Complete the Grad Plus application on www.studentloans.gov. This has an option for the Credit Check.
  • You require a PIN. This is the same number as used for your FAFSA.
  • Our school code is G33494.
  • To obtain a Grad Plus Loan the Credit Check decision must be “Accepted”.
  • You do not have to send evidence of this as we can verify acceptance here.
  • If your credit check is declined you can reapply for a Plus Loan using an endorser.
  1. Parent Plus Loan.

This is only for undergraduates classed as dependant on their FAFSA application.

  • A parent has to make the application.
  • They will need a PIN number for this: www.PIN.ed.gov.
  • The borrower (i.e. parent) must complete a Plus Loan application and have an accepted credit check.
  • They should complete a Plus Loan Master Promissory Note.

Once you have completed all the relevant documents, we will be able to certify your loans. We will send you a Notification of Loan letter confirming the amounts and approximate disbursment dates.


Institutional and Financial Assistance Information for Students
Information on Fees & Charges can be found here: https://www.qmu.ac.uk/current-students/current-students-general-information/fees-and-charges/

Information on Funding can be found here: https://www.qmu.ac.uk/study-here/fees-and-funding/


Drug and Alcohol Prevention Programme Certification

The University's Wellbeing Service offers support for your mental, emotional and physical wellbeing and facilitates building up resilience and healthy living to support you on your journey through University. https://www.qmu.ac.uk/study-here/student-services/wellbeing-service/

The Students' Union offers health and wellbeing support https://www.qmusu.org.uk/top-menu/advice-support

Queen Margaret University enforces drug and alcohol and smoking policies consistent with UK law and will notify any infringement to the appropriate national and local law enforcement agencies. More Information


Student Right-to-Know

Completion/Graduation and Transfer Out Rates
Information on the University’s completion and transfer-out rates is available from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA). Due to the very low non-continuation rate, the University is unable to supply a breakdown of completion or transfer-out rates by gender, ethnicity or recipients of need-based Subsidised loans, as this may reveal personally identifiable information about an individual student, which would break the Data Protection Act.

For the latest rates please refer to the links below. In tables where information is available at an institutional level you will find data for the Queen Margaret University in the Total Scotland section.

Completion/Graduation and Transfer Out Rates for Students Receiving Athletically Related Student Aid
There are extremely few scholarships linked to athletic sports and therefore the University will not disclose data about the recipients’ ethnicities, gender, transfer-out rate or completion rate.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
QMU may disclose personally identifiable information without student consent, but only to the following parties:

  • University officials with legitimate educational interests.
  • U.S. Comptroller General, U.S. Attorney General, U.S. Department of Education.
  • State and local officials
  • Authorized organizations conducting educational research.
  • Accrediting Agencies
  • Alleged victim of a crime
  • Parent of a Dependent Student as defined by the IRS.
  • Parent of a student under 21 regarding the violation of a law regarding alcohol or drug abuse.

In contrast to the exceptions to the notification and record-keeping requirements granted for law enforcement purposes, the University may disclose information pursuant to any other court order or lawfully issues subpoena but will make a reasonable effort to notify the parent or eligible student of the order of subpoena in advance of this compliance, so that the student or parent may seek protective action (unless the court or issuing agency has prohibited such disclosure).

The Student's health records will be kept private and protected, and only disclosed if the student has given express written consent for such a disclosure outside of signing the award letter, this will only occur if the health record is construed to be an educational record (ie. when it is used to make a decision in regard to a student's educational program such as in matters of whether a student should receive extended time for testing; or be exempt from an academic requirement etc). This disclosure will incorporate only the types of disclosure as described in your award letter (i.e. only relating to your studies and attendance status). The University will only disclose personally identifiable information from an education record to appropriate parties in connection with an emergency if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.

More information about FERPA can be found here.


Safeguarding Customer Information


The Data Protection Act 1998 aims to secure individuals' rights to privacy by protecting information that is held about them. Any authority that handles personal data must comply with the data protection principles which control how such data is processed. These principles include, amongst others, that personal data should be fairly and lawfully processed. Individuals have the right to ask for personal data held about them. This is known as a subject access request. Under Freedom of Information legislation a request by an individual for information about themselves will be exempt under freedom of information and will continue to be handled under data protection.

If someone makes a request for information about another living individual, this will be handled under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act, but certain data protection considerations will still apply, for example the authority will not have to provide the information if the disclosure would breach the data protection principles. If the authority decides that it may wish to disclose the information, then it should usually notify the individual and take account of their wishes, although, the authority does not have to be bound by the views of the individual.

Records Management
Records management is covered by a Code of Practice. The Code provides guidance on records management policies, records management training and the keeping, management and destruction of records, both paper based and electronic. QMU has a records management policy to adopt best practice in this area.

QMU also has a records retention schedule that sets out the periods for which QMU's business records should be retained to meet its operational needs and to comply with legal and other requirements.


Queen Margaret University has in place quality assurance procedures and staff to ensure that it does not misrepresent the nature of its educational programmes. Students are assured that the information provided on the website and in the prospectus is not false, erroneous or misleading. This forms the basis of the terms and conditions of the contract between the student and the University entered in to when the student accepts an offer of a place.


Our Quality website holds information our quality assurance processes https://www.qmu.ac.uk/about-the-university/quality/quality-enhancement-and-external-context/

The University complies with guidance published by the Competition & Markets Authority (CMA) on consumer protection law.


Missing Student Notification Policy
Queen Margaret University’s Health and Safety Policy defines the responsibilities and procedures to be followed by staff and students when confronted by an accident or incident, which includes the disappearance of a student.


Types of Loan
View the “Direct Loan Overview” for full information and up to date interest charges, fees and repayment rules

Stafford Loan (Subsidised)
This is awarded to students based on financial need. The information you supply on your FAFSA is used to calculate your EFC (Expected Family Contribution). Your EFC and the amount of your EFA, (Estimated Financial Assistance i.e.any scholarships, bursaries or awards you will receive) will be deducted from your Cost of Attendance to determine your Financial Need. Please note that Graduate/Professional students are no longer eligible for the subsidised element of the Stafford Loan.

The US government will pay the interest on a subsidised loan while you are enrolled at least half time or during a grace or deferment period.

Stafford Loan (Unsubsidised)
This is not based on financial need. Whilst studying at least half time, or during deferment or grace periods you have the option of paying the interest or having it capitalised and added to the total value of the loan therefore increasing the amount you need to repay.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
Parents of dependent undergraduate students can borrow a federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan and can borrow up to the total Cost of Attendance minus all other sources of financial aid their student receives. The loan is the financial responsibility of the parents and not the student.

A parent PLUS loan borrower must meet the same citizenship and residency requirements as the student. The parent must not owe a refund on a federal student financial aid grant or be in default on a federal student loan. Repayment begins within 60 days after your loan is fully disbursed and lasts ten years.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

The Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is a federal loan that graduate students with good credit histories may borrow to help pay their educational expenses. A graduate student may borrow up to the total Cost of Attendance less all other financial aid received.

Students must have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loan Program before applying for a Graduate/Professional PLUS loan.

Repayment begins on the date of the last disbursement of the loan and the first payment is due within 60 days after the date the loan is fully disbursed. Graduate PLUS borrowers may receive a deferment while he or she is enrolled on at least a half-time basis at an eligible school.

A private loan is a non-federal loan through a private lender and is usually in the student’s name and requires a cosigner.

Undergraduate students who have been classed as Independant on their FAFSA would need to take up this type of loan if they need to borrow more that the Stafford Loan limits.


Loan Limits
The maximum loans that you are allowed to borrow annually and over your academic career are set by the US government. The amount available depends on your degree level and whether or not you have been classed as dependant or independent on your FAFSA.

Year of Study Annual Subsidised Annual Total Combined Loans (Sub & Unsub) Aggregate Subsidised Aggregate Combined Loans (Sub & Unsub)

Undergraduate Dependent Students

Year 1 $3500 $5500 $23000 $31000
Year 2 $4500 $6500 $23000 $31000
Year 3+ $5500 $7500 $23000 $31000

Undergraduate Independent Students

Year 1 $3500 $9500 $23000 $57500
Year 2 $4500 $10500 $23000 $57500
Year 3+ $5500 $12500 $23000 $57500

Graduates & Professional Students

All Years $0 $20500 $0 $138500


The maximum Cost of Attendance in 2018/9

You may borrow up to an amount equal to your Cost of Attendance providing that you total loans do not exceed the maximum loans stated above.

The cost of attendance is based on the following:

Accommodation (including utilities) £155 per week
Food/Internet £77 per week
Books/Printing £15 per week
Travel £16 per week
Personal £57 per week
2 round trip flights £2000
Your tuition fees (minus any scholarship that you may have been awarded) Refer to Fees and Charges
  • For one year postgraduate courses this is calculated on a 50 week period.
  • Two year postgraduate courses are calculated on a 40 week period in year one and 50 weeks in year two.
  • MSc Speech and Language Therapy is calculated on a 44 week period in year one, 50 week period for year two, and 24 week period to complete the MSc component.
  • Undergraduate studies are calculated on a 40 week period per year.

The exchange rate used is 1.55 dollars to the pound. The living costs have been set at a level that would allow students to live comfortably but you may find your own costs to be less or more depending on your lifestyle

The final figure includes provision for origination charges which can be included in the borrowing.

Loan Disbursement
Once your loans have been certified you will receive confirmation of the amounts, disbursement dates and amounts in a Notification of Loan letter. This letter may be used as proof of funding for Visa purposes in line with guidance that accompanies the letter.

The first disbursement takes place in Mid September for all students and funds will be requested from the US Dept of Education only when you have registered and are in the UK.

The second disbursement will be made in mid January.

For those scheduled to receive a third disbursement, this will take place in May.

If you have arranged sufficient loan funds, we will deduct this equally from your loan disbursments to pay your fee in full.

Any remaining amount not used for tuition fees or to cover QMU accommodation will be paid to your UK bank account. We will request your bank account details from you once you have matriculated at QMU.

Admissions Policies and Procedures
Queen Margaret University's Admissions and Registration regulations can be found via the link below:

Health & Safety Policies and Statistics

Textbook Information
Information about any required and recommended textbooks for your course will be provided to you by your department. Should you require specific information about textbooks, please contact the relevant School for advice.

You may also wish to consult with Library Services and the Learning Resource Centre.

Health and Insurance

For information on health and insurance matters, including vaccinations, please refer to the page below.