BA/BA (Hons) Business Management
Along with theoretical business knowledge, our Business Management degree routes will give you the practical experience you need to make your professional mark from day one.
- Tailor your degree in the direction you want your career to go: In Years One and Two core modules provide a solid foundation of knowledge. As you progress, you can select modules that particularly interest you, or opt for a specialist degree route (eg Digital Marketing or Analytics).
- Workplace experience: All of our Business Management routes include workplace experience.
- Gain great industry insights and contacts: You will gain insights into high-profile companies such as Bacardi, Social Bite, Skyscanner, Google and Edinburgh Airport, whose representatives have joined us as visiting speakers recently.
- Excellent support from staff: Smaller than average class sizes mean you will get close support and guidance from staff who get to know you. We will help you develop your passion, ranging from supporting student start-ups in our Business Innovation Zone to helping you pick the right dissertation project to kickstart your career.
- Staff expertise: You will be taught by staff who are active researchers, and who share the latest research insights in their teaching.
- Stimulating learning environment: Benefit from a variety of learning experiences such as lectures, seminars, workshops, field trips, exchanges**, guest lectures from a range of practitioners and visiting professors. Some of our modules focus on group work to develop team-working skills and others focus on you as the individual.
- Gain in-demand practical skills: Our courses are designed to ensure you graduate with a range of transferable business skills that are highly sought after by employers.
What you will gain from this course
On our BA/BA (Hons) Business Management you will:
- Gain a solid foundation in the core principles of business management, including marketing, human resource management, finance, economics, entrepreneurship, strategy, law and operations management.
- Hone your practical business expertise with placements, guest speakers and project opportunities.
- Examine business themes at a more strategic level in Years Three and Four.
- Choose electives from a range of modules on offer.
- Have the opportunity to apply for an exchange at a university overseas in North America, Canada, Europe or Australia**.
- You will gain the maximum possible flexibility in Years Three and Four by being able to select modules from any of the specialised routes for your electives.
- Gain a degree that has a strong focus on employability which has been threaded throughout the course at each level, supporting you to develop your problem solving, communication and innovation skills.
The course in brief
Let’s talk business. When you study for a degree in Business Management at QMU you will gain a deep understanding of the nature and core functions of businesses. How do successful companies manage their resources? What is the best way to make an organisation environmentally sustainable? What marks out a successful business?
People do business with people. If you have first-class management skills and practical expertise, people are going to want to work with you. Our Business Management degree routes are designed to give you the knowledge and skills that you need to thrive in the fast-moving marketplaces of tomorrow.
We offer the following five business management routes:
• BA/BA (Hons) Business Management
• BA/BA (Hons) Business Management with Analytics*
• BA/BA (Hons) Business Management with Digital Marketing*
• BA/BA (Hons) Business Management with Finance
• BA/BA (Hons) Business Management with Human Resource Management*
All students enrol on our general Business Management degree for Years One and Two which will give you a solid foundation in the core principles of business management. At the end of Year Two we’ll discuss the route options with you and help you make you decide whether to stay on our general Business Management degree for maximum flexibility or if you want to, you can move onto one of our named routes. This will allow you to graduate with a specialist award, for example: BA (Hons) Business Management with Analytics.
Whichever business management path you take, you will be equipped with the skills employers are looking for, negotiation, project management, problem solving, critical thinking and team working.
You can opt to study for an honours degree over four years or an ordinary degree over three years.
*Subject to validation
** Subject to availability
A degree in Business Management has been offered by QMU for decades. We regularly review course content and options to ensure students are provided with an up-to-date learning experience which is relevant to current trends in business management. At the time of posting (Feb 2023) we have not yet confirmed all final modules for each named route for 2023 entry. This information will be posted here when available.
Years One and Two: All students enrol on our general Business Management degree for Years One and Two which will give you a solid foundation in the core principles of business management.
Years Three and Four: In Years Three and Four you will examine business themes at a more strategic level, choosing electives from a range of modules on offer. In Year Four you will also undertake a placement and a practical, business-focused piece of independent work in an area of your choice. Studying a Business Management degree will give you the opportunity to take advantage of a wide range of career options open to graduates in this field.
Teaching, learning and assessment
You will be taught in lectures, seminars and practical workshops. Outside these formally timetabled sessions you will be expected to continue learning through self-study. You will be assessed by a range of methods such as written exams, reports, poster presentations, business plans, live pitch, group presentations and negotiation role play.
You will have the iterative support of Academic Development (AD) throughout your course to enable you confidently to manage the purely academic challenges of your study, and address the diverse technical requirements of your assignments. AD will be available not only as a regular taught component of your study timetable, but in the form of self-study materials available via your module hubs/websites etc and as ad hoc one-to-one or small group sessions, which can usually be arranged at short notice.
You will complete a placement in Year Four.
Placements are an excellent opportunity to put your learning into practice.
Students are responsible for sourcing a placement host organisation, which can be in the UK or abroad. We support you to find a placement host.
In Years Two or Three you have the opportunity (subject to availability) to study for one semester at a university overseas, in Europe, North America or Australia. Find out more about studying abroad.
This is a degree that works. In general management, marketing, sales management, logistics, financial services, operations management and human resources management, our graduates are proving their worth to companies in the UK and internationally. Graduates have also set up their own businesses or taken their learning even further as postgraduate students.
Scottish Higher: Standard - BBBC, Minimum - BCCC
A Level: BCC
Irish Leaving Certificate: H2 H3 H3 H3
International Baccalaureate: 28 points
International: IELTS of 6.0 with no element lower than 5.5
Required subjects: English Required and Maths preferred at Nat 5/GCSE
Mature/Access: We welcome applications from mature students with other relevant qualifications and/or experience.
For more information on related HNC and HND courses, visit our College Leavers and Mature Students Advice page.
- HNC in a related subject with B in the graded unit
- Scottish Higher: BC at Advanced Higher in relevant subjects plus BB at Higher
- A Level: BBB in relevant subjects
- HND in a related subject with CB in the graded unit
For details of related HNC and HND courses, visit our College Leavers and Mature Students Advice page.
We are a member of the Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS).
Teaching staff, class sizes and timetables
For more information, please visit ‘How we teach and how you’ll learn’.
More information is in the ‘External Review’ section on the ‘How we teach and how you’ll learn’ page.
View Open Day presentation
- The modules listed here are correct at time of posting (Feb 2022) but may differ slightly to those offered in 2023. Please check back here for any updates.
- The delivery of this course is subject to the terms and conditions set out in our 2023/24 Entry Terms and Conditions (Undergraduate).
- Teaching staff may be subject to change.
Engage with QMU
Courses You Might Also Like
- BA/BA (Hons) Business Management with Analytics*
- BA/BA (Hons) Business Management with Digital Marketing
- BA/BA (Hons) Business Management with Finance
- BA/BA (Hons) Business Management with Human Resource Management
- BA/BA (Hons) Business Management (Graduate Apprenticeship)
- BA/BA (Hons) International Hospitality, Tourism and Events Management