What to do in an Emergency or Crisis

It is important to speak to someone soon after an incident occurs so that you can get help, support and advice. You are not alone.

If an incident has happened on campus, contact Security on 2222 (internal campus phone) alternatively dial 0131 474 0000, ask for Security.

If an incident has happened off campus, call Police on 101 or 999, call an ambulance on 999 or NHS24 on 111. 

Further Support and Advice on What to do Next:

Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre: https://www.ercc.scot/

Rape Crisis Scotland helpline: 08088 01 03 02

East Lothian Sexual Abuse Service https://eastspace.org.uk/service/the-east-lothian-sexual-abuse-service-elsas/

NHS Support After Sexual Assault/Violence/Rape https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sexual-health/help-after-rape-and-sexual-assault/

Scotland's Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline https://sdafmh.org.uk/  Helpline: 08000271234

Safer Families Edinburgh https://sdafmh.org.uk/  Tel: 0131 469 5325

Womens Aid East Lothian and Mid Lothian http://www.womensaideml.org/ 

Womens Aid Edinburgh https://edinwomensaid.co.uk/ 

Womens Aid West Lothian https://www.wlwa.org.uk/ 

Victim Support Line https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/help-and-support/get-help/supportline 

Scottish Women’s Rights Centre legal service for sexual harassment: for legal information about a case of sexual harassment, call their helpline on: 08088 010 789, open every Thursday, 5pm to 8pm.

LGBT Health and Wellbeing helpline 0300 1232523

Shakti Women’s Aid - Edinburgh 0131 4752399, Fife 01383 732 289, Dundee 01382 207095, Forth Valley 07757035794.

Health in Mind Pathway service for survivors of male sexual abuse 0131 225 8508

Abused Men in Scotland: 0808 800 0024.

Survivors UK for survivors of male sexual abuse 020 35983898.

Hemat Gryffe Women's Aid for BAME (Black and Asian Minority Ethnic women) 0141 353 0859.

If you are thinking of reporting an incident to the Police, please see further Rape Crisis Scotland information under Frequently Asked Questions or contact Victim Support Scotland's Helpline on 0800 160 1985 8am-8pm Monday - Friday.

Students and staff can report an incident to the University, anonymously or with details, and speak to an advisor about options going forward: https://u.qmu.ac.uk/eforms/sexualharassmentandviolence/ 

If you believe that an incident has adversely affected your studies, then you may wish to consider applying for Extenuating Circumstances.

If you would like to speak with someone for support and find out more information, you could attend a drop in session for an initial discussion with a trained adviser.  Bill Stronach, Louise Gill and Sarah Carlile are available Monday to Friday, 9.30-4.30pm.  For enquiries call 0131 474 0000 and ask for 'Student Services'.