- Application for a January 2024 start is still open.
- Applications should NOT be made via QMU online application form. Please see the 'entry requirements and application information' tab below for more information.
Breast Ultrasound - PgCert
Are you are currently working in a clinical environment within the Breast Care Services and want to develop advanced level clinical skills in Breast Ultrasound with critical and reflective thinking in practice?
A postgraduate qualification in breast ultrasound is essential for healthcare practitioners working within breast care services. This modular PgCert in Breast Ultrasound course will enable you to follow a pathway within breast ultrasound leading to advancement in specialist clinical skills.
The course is run in partnership with the Scottish Academy of Breast Imaging (SABI) based at the West of Scotland Breast Screening Centre in Glasgow. It is delivered part-time over 1-4 years.
- Collaboration provides an optimum learning experience: The collaboration between QMU and SABI allows you to benefit from input from practice-based NHS clinical experts and professional higher education academics. This collaborative approach has allowed QMU and SABI to work together for over 20 years in delivering breast imaging courses both in Scotland and further afield to the wider UK and Ireland.
- Flexible study route: Delivered part-time, this course fits ideally around your work commitments.
- Staff expertise: You will be taught by the SABI training team, NHS radiologists, consultant radiographers, breast surgeons, advanced practice mammographers, breast care nurses, medical physicists and other NHS professionals working with breast care services.
- Accreditation: The course is approved by the Society and College of Radiographers and is the first PgCert Breast Ultrasound course in the UK to hold Accreditation from the Consortium for the Accreditation of Sonographic Education (CASE).
- Support: You will have a named workplace clinical mentor throughout your time studying on the PgCert Breast Ultrasound who will support you both clinically and academically while you study with us.
Breast Ultrasound (PgCert): More information and what you will achieve
This course will give you the skills needed to become a safe and competent practitioner carrying out breast ultrasound. It puts great importance on the link between theory and practical skills, with the workplace learning element structured to promote the development of advanced-level clinical skills and critical and reflective thinking in clinical practice. These skills will strengthen your ability to work as part of the multidisciplinary team.
Cutting-edge issues of theory and research in Breast Ultrasound will be critically examined to enable you to focus, extend, develop and strengthen skills in Breast Ultrasound to a level of advanced professional competence.
There is a workplace element, which is structured to promote the development of advanced-level operational skills and critical and reflective thinking in practice.
How will I be taught?
Structure and exit awards
You can opt to study for the full PgCert (60 credits) or you can register as an associate student to complete a single module (20 credits) for continuing professional development (CPD). On completion of a single module, you may wish to complete further modules and progress your studies to a named award. Please contact Maureen McAuley for further information on single module study.
Teaching , learning and assessment
As this course places the student at the heart of the learning process, you will be expected to take overall responsibility for your learning. You will attend classes online and in person, depending on your module. Classes will be held at SABI in Glasgow or at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. You will then go on to carry out further independent work.
This course is delivered using a blended learning approach. Lectures introduce theoretical concepts: specialist talks give an insight on identified areas of breast imaging, tutorials explore some syllabus areas in more depth, and practical learning takes place in your workplace. ‘The Hub’ virtual learning environment is used as an interactive learning resource throughout the modules.
A variety of assessment methods are used including exams, ePortfolios, presentations, workplace assessments and case studies.
There is no formal placement on this course, but there is a workplace learning element that you will carry out with your current employer.
Teaching hours and attendance
For the three modules required for completion of the PgCert in Breast Ultrasound, attendance will be as follows:
- Physics & Instrumentation of Ultrasound: 4 days, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary
- Breast Ultrasound: 4 days online learning
- Ultrasound Guided Breast Interventional Procedures: 4 days teaching at SABI, Glasgow
Class sizes are variable and can range from approximately 6 - 10.
You can read more about the teaching staff on this course at the bottom of this page. Please note that teaching staff is subject to change.
- Physics & Instrumentation of Ultrasound (20 credits)
- Breast Ultrasound (20 credits)
- Ultrasound Guided Breast Interventional Procedures (20 credits)
The modules listed are correct at time of posting (October 2022) but are subject to change. In the event that modules change, QMU will seek to use reasonable endeavours to ensure that there is no detrimental impact on students.
This course is part of CPD and is designed to improve the delivery of the breast care service. Gaining this qualification may enhance your career prospects within the profession of radiography.
PgCert Breast Ultrasound: September
Physics & Instrumentation of Ultrasound: September
Breast Ultrasound: January
Ultrasound Guided Breast Interventional Procedures: June
Breast Ultrasound (PgCert): Entry requirements and application information
- Applicants must be a healthcare practitioner to study the the Physics and Instrumentation of Ultrasound module
- Applicants must be a healthcare practitioner currently employed in a clinical environment offering breast ultrasound experience to study the workplace modules and have with the support of a line manager and workplace mentor.
International: You will be required to provide evidence of English language competence at no less than IELTS 7 and no individual component score below 6.5.
Accreditation of prior learning: You may be granted exemption from studying a module, provided you can demonstrate successful achievement of all the learning outcomes.
Applying for this course
Applications should be made directly to the Scottish Academy of Breast Imaging (SABI). Contact Maureen McAuley .
Terms and Conditions
The delivery of this course is subject to the terms and conditions set out in our 2023/24 Entry - Terms and Conditions (Postgraduate).
More information and contacts
Please contact Maureen McAuley
Opportunities to meet us
Become your best you: study at QMU