Application for a January 2024 start is still open.
Advancing Practice in Podiatry - MSc/PgDip
Are you a podiatrist registered in the UK with the HCPC (or a similar registration body for international applicants) who want to advance your practice? As part of our Advancing Practice in Health Framework, the fully online MSc/PgDip in Advancing Practice in Podiatry course aims to facilitate the knowledge and skills required for the development of advanced podiatric practice.
There are learning opportunities in areas such as diagnostic investigations for the lower limb, medical imaging of the foot and ankle as well as other modules such as fundamentals of advancing practice, critical analysis, evaluation and research methodologies.
The course is delivered online and available both full-time and part-time.
- Educationally and practice relevant postgraduate framework: This award will enable those working as a podiatrist to develop their knowledge and skills and advance their practice.
- Flexible study options: The course offers flexibility in modes of study (part-time, full-time or workplace) that are responsive to individual needs and today’s culture of work and learning. Single module study is also available.
- Multi-professional learning and cross institutional input: Based on a model of collaborative multi-professional learning and housed in the Division of Dietetics, Nutrition and Biological Sciences, Physiotherapy, Podiatry and Radiography, the Framework also offers opportunities to draw on expertise across the University on subjects such as leadership, social science and education.
- Make a difference to people’s lives: Framework modules will allow you develop your skills and knowledge and contribute to the health of our nation and beyond.
- Theoretical and practically focused: Learning and teaching is underpinned by research, evidence and scholarship against the background of current and evolving political and social landscape for health and wellbeing.
Advancing Practice in Podiatry (MSc/PgDip): More information and what you will achieve
This course will allow learners to advance their practice. The learner-centred approach enables individuals to tailor their learning to their interests, requirements and aspirations.
How will I be taught?
Structure and exit awards
You can opt to study for the full MSc (180 credits) or a PgDip (120 credits).
You can also register as an associate student to complete a single module for CPD. On completion of a single module, you may wish to complete further modules and progress your studies to a named award. Contact Professor Derek Santos for further information. for further information on single module study.
Teaching, learning and assessment
All modules are delivered online and can be studied from a distance. Additional support is available for those new to or returning to master’s level study.
There are a variety of assessment methods including critical and reflective courseworks, ePortfolios, presentations and practice based assessments.
Teaching hours and attendance
No on-campus attendance is required at QMU and course material is delivered entirely online. Each 20-credit module will equate with approximately 200 hours of study, which will include regular online contact and independent experiential learning.
You will join a multi-professional online community of learners and will have the opportunity to interact and share your experiences.
You can read more about the teaching staff on this course at the bottom of this page. Please note that teaching staff is subject to change.
- Advanced Competencies I & II (20/40 credits)*:These modules enable you to attain pre-agreed workplace competencies and to critically evaluate the evidence base underpinning the selected area of work.
- Diagnostic Investigations for the Lower Limb (20 credits)**:This module will provide you with theoretical knowledge and understanding of a range of diagnostic and laboratory investigations in the lower limb. NB This module is only available every second year.
- Medical Imaging of the Foot and Ankle (20 credits)* **:This module will provide learners with a critical understanding of diagnostic modalities to develop evaluative and interpretative skills of musculoskeletal and orthopaedic modalities. NB This module is only available every second year.
- Enquiry-based Practice (20 credits):This module will provide you with an understanding of research principles, methodologies and analysis.
- Fundamentals of Advancing Practice (20 credits):This module will provide you with critical knowledge and understanding of advanced practice.
- plus an optional module (20 credits) from any approved Framework modules
For the MSc, you will also complete a Dissertation (60 credits).
*These modules require individuals to be working in the specific area and/or have access to an appropriate workplace setting (paid or voluntary).
** These modules are only available every second year and alternate with each other.
NB The modules listed are correct at time of posting (October 2022) but are subject to change. In the event that modules change, QMU will seek to use reasonable endeavours to ensure that there is no detrimental impact on students.
All modules will provide learners with enhanced career progression opportunities in leadership roles or within their specialist field of practice.
Advancing Practice in Podiatry (MSc/PgDip): Entry requirements and application information
Honours degree or equivalent in podiatry.
International: You will be required to provide evidence of English language competence at no less than IELTS 6.5 with no individual component score less than 6.0.
Some modules require individuals to be working in the specific area of practice and/or have access to a suitable work place setting along with the support of a line manager and workplace mentor.
For applicants thinking of studying full-time we strongly recommend you contact the Pathway Lead for an initial discussion.
Please note as this course is fully online, the University cannot sponsor International students to study here on Student visa.
Applying for this course
For more information on applying, or to apply for this course, please follow the links in the 'Start your application' box at the top right of this page.
Terms and Conditions
The delivery of this course is subject to the terms and conditions set out in our 2023/24 Entry - Terms and Conditions (Postgraduate).
Opportunities to meet us
Become your best you: study at QMU
Join us at one of our Postgraduate Open Events 2023
We offer a number of online and in-person opportunities to meet with us to find out more about our postgraduate courses and study at QMU.Postgraduate Open Events - Book Now
Courses You Might Also Like
- MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Dietetics (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
- MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Medical Imaging (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
- MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Physiotherapy (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
- MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Radiotherapy (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
- MSc Theory of Podiatric Surgery