MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Dietetics (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
As part of our Advancing Practice in Health Framework, this award pathway aims to facilitate the knowledge and skills required for the development of advanced dietetic practice. It is delivered online and available both full and part-time.
There are learning opportunities in areas such as fundamentals of advancing practice, critical analysis, evaluation and research methodologies, as well as clinical competency workplace modules.
- Educationally and practice relevant postgraduate framework: This award will enable those working as a radiographer to develop their knowledge and skills and advance their practice.
- Flexible study options: The course offers flexibility in modes of study (part-time, full-time or workplace) that are responsive to individual needs and today’s culture of work and learning. Single module study is also available.
- Multi-professional learning and cross institutional input: Based on a model of collaborative multi-professional learning and housed in the Division of Dietetics, Nutrition and Biological Sciences, Physiotherapy, Podiatry and Radiography, the Framework also offers opportunities to draw on expertise across the University on subjects such as leadership, social science and education.
- Make a difference to people’s lives: Framework modules will allow you develop your skills and knowledge and contribute to the health of our nation and beyond.
- Theoretical and practically focused: Learning and teaching is underpinned by research, evidence and scholarship against the background of current and evolving political and social landscape for health and wellbeing.
Who is this course for?
This course is for qualified dietitians who want to advance their practice.
More about MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Dietetics and what you will achieve
This course will allow learners to advance their practice in their chosen field. The learner-centred approach enables individuals to tailor their learning to their interest, requirements and aspirations.
MSc (180 credits)/PgDip (120 credits)
You can opt to study for the full MSc or a PgDip. You can also register as an associate student to complete a single module for CPD. On completion of a single module, you may wish to complete further modules and progress your studies to a named award.
Teaching, learning and assessment
All modules are delivered online and can be studied from a distance. Additional support is available for those new to or returning to master’s level study.
There are a variety of assessment methods including critical and reflective courseworks, ePortfolios, presentations and practice based assessments.
Teaching hours and attendance
No on-campus attendance is required at QMU and course material is delivered entirely online. Each 20-credit module will equate with approximately 200 hours of study, which will include regular online contact and independent experiential learning.
- Advanced Competencies I & II (20/40 credits)*:These modules enable you to attain pre-agreed workplace competencies and to critically evaluate the evidence base underpinning the selected area of work.
- Enquiry-based Practice (20 credits):This module will provide you with an understanding of research principles, methodologies and analysis.
- Fundamentals of Advancing Practice (20 credits):This module will provide you with critical knowledge and understanding of advanced practice.
- Demonstrating Impact in Practice (20 credits)*:This module will enable learners to advance their practice by demonstrating sustainable impact in practice at a service, project or community level.
- plus an optional module (20 credits) from any approved Framework modules
For the MSc, you will also complete a Dissertation (60 credits).
*These modules require individuals to be working in the specific area and/or have access to an appropriate workplace setting (paid or voluntary).
** These modules are only available every second year and alternate with each other.
The modules listed are correct at time of posting (October 2022) but are subject to change. In the event that modules change, QMU will seek to use reasonable endeavours to ensure that there is no detrimental impact on students.
Single module study
Available. Register as an associate student to study up to two single modules in areas of interest. Contact Dr Sara Smith for further information.
There are no placements on this course.
All modules will provide learners with enhanced career progression opportunities in leadership roles or within their specialist field of practice.
You will join a multi-professional online community of learners.
Honours degree and professional registration or equivalent in dietetics.
International: You will be required to provide evidence of English language competence at no less than IELTS 6.5 with no individual component score less than 6.0.
Some modules require individuals to be working in the specific area of practice and/or have access to a suitable work place setting along with the support of a line manager and workplace mentor.
For applicants thinking of studying full-time we strongly recommend you contact the Pathway Lead for an initial discussion.
Framework awards do not lead to UK registration with the HCPC or the right to practice within the UK, but aim to foster an intellectual approach to personal and professional development.
Opportunities to meet us
Select fees for 2023/24 and look under the online learning tab.
The delivery of this course is subject to the terms and conditions set out in our 2023/24 Entry - Terms and Conditions (Postgraduate).
Teaching staff is subject to change.
Courses You Might Also Like
- MSc/PgDip/PgCert Advancing Practice in Health (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
- MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Medical Imaging (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
- MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Physiotherapy (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
- MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Podiatry (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)
- MSc/PgDip Advancing Practice in Radiotherapy (Advancing Practice in Health Framework)