Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers
The Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers sets out the expectations and responsibilities of researchers, their managers, employers and funders. By setting out clear expectations for researchers, research managers, research institutions, and funders of research, the Concordat aims to enhance the research workforce and thereby sustain research excellence in the UK, bringing benefits to the health, economy and well being of our nation
QMU is committed to the principles of the Concordat and was was one of the first Universities in the UK and Europe to be awarded the HR Excellence in Research Award in September 2010. We were also successful in retaining this award following re-assessment at the end of 2012.
UK-wide process enables UK higher education institutions to gain the European Commission's HR Excellence in Research Award, which acknowledges their alignment with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for their Recruitment. The UK process incorporates both the QAA Code of Practice for Research Degree Programmes and the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers to enable institutions that have published Concordat implementation plans to gain the HR Excellence in Research Award. The UK approach includes ongoing national evaluation and benchmarking.
The award recognises our successes in endorsing the principles of the Concordat and QMU will continue to engage with its vision to ensure ongoing enhancement of the professional and career development of its research staff. In endorsing the Concordat, the University also endorses the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
If you have any comments, suggestions or would like to become more involved in our work in supporting the career development of researchers, please contact Kim Gilchrist, Head of Research and Knowledge Exchange Development. Further information on our work in support of the Concordat includes:
- 2010 Concordat for the Career Development of Researchers Action Plan (2010-2014)
- 2012 Self Assessment Report
- 2014 Achievements against Implementation Plan ( 2010-2014)
- 2014 Concordat for the Career Development of Researchers Action Plan (2014-2018)
- 2016 Self Assessment Report – Six Year Review
- 2016 Achievements against Implementation Plan (2014-2016)
- 2016 Concordat for the Career Development of Researchers Action Plan Update (2016-2018)
- Welcome to Research @ QMU Booklet
- Support for Contract Researchers Booklet
- Inspiring Female Researchers Exhibition
For further information on QMU’s commitment to researcher career development please click on the icons below.