Support for Care Leavers
We recognise that care leavers who have spent time in local authority care, either in residential accommodation, foster care or under supervision orders at home may require additional advice and support during both the pre-entry period and during the transition period to Higher Education.
Since 2008, all UCAS applicants have been asked to disclose if they have spent time in care. If you tick this field on the UCAS form we will then contact you directly to tell you more about the advice and support that we offer to care leavers.
This support includes:
- Individualised support from our Student Funding Adviser at both the pre entry and post entry stages (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Working with Care Leavers and their relevant Social Worker(s) to ensure that applicants are supported appropriately. This will only be done at your request and with your permission.
- Opportunity to apply for a Care Leavers Bursary, The Common Threads Bursary) ( http://www.qmu.ac.uk/registry/scholarshipscommonthreadbursary.htm
- A priority place on QMAdvance, optional pre induction course for new students
- Priority access to QMConnect, Peer Support Project
- Care leavers will be guaranteed a place in student accommodation (this includes those who live very locally). We can offer either a 40 or a 50 week lease period to those looking to stay in our halls. We may be able to offer 365 day accommodation to care leavers on a 50-week contract who then decide to stay in halls for their second year of study.
- Opportunity to apply and receive a guaranteed interview for temporary part-time work opportunities offered by both the Student Services & RILO Teams, these include roles as Student Ambassadors, Student Guides and QMAdvance Assistants.
We are currently writing an Action Plan for Care Leavers. This action plan is based on good practice as recommended by Buttle UK (http://www.buttleuk.org/pages/quality-mark-for-care-leavers.html). This good practice encourages Universities to:
- raise aspirations and achievements,
- have appropriate admissions procedures,
- provide entry and ongoing support, and
- monitor the implementation of the Care Leavers Action Plan.
Our Care Leavers action Plan will be uploaded here shortly.
For further advice and support please contact :
Transition &Pre entry Guidance Adviser, Student Services
0131 474 0000 or
^ to top