BSc (Hons) Pharmacology (Edinburgh)
PhD Biochemistry (St Andrews)
Institute of Learning and Teaching Member
Consumption patterns of heavy drinkers, ABIs (alcohol brief interventions) and the physiological effects of alcohol on the reproductive system and cardiovascular risk profile of young women. Binge drinking.
- Gill, J. and Donaghy, M. (2004) Variation in the alcohol content of a sample of wine and spirit poured by a sample of the Scottish Population, Health Education Research 19, 485-491
- Gill J. (2003) Blood. In Kindlen S. (Ed) Physiology and Anatomy. Rutishauser, Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone. 39-60.
- Gill J. (2003) Acid Base Balance. In Kindlen S. (Ed) Physiology and Anatomy. Rutishauser, Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone. 239-251
- Gill J., Donaghy, M and Warner P. (2002) Binge drinking – an essential accessory to female undergraduate life, a pilot study with Scottish undergraduate students. P2.20 Poster Presentation to Addictions 2002 Conference. Amsterdam September 2003.
- Gill J., Donaghy, M and Warner P. (2002) Mines a double - variation in the alcohol content of a glass of wine or spirit. P2.21. Poster Presentation to Addictions 2002 Conference. Amsterdam September 2003.
- Gill, J. (2002), “Reported Levels of Alcohol Consumption and Binge Drinking within the UK Undergraduate Student Population over the last 25 Years” Alcohol and Alcoholism, 37, 109 –120
- Gill, J. (2000) Review of the effect of moderate alcohol consumption on female reproductive hormones, Alcohol and Alcoholism 35, 417-423.
- Kindlen S. & Gill J. (1999) Blood and related tissues In Watson, R. (Ed) Essential Science for Nursing Students. London: Harcourt Brace, 173-197
- Gill, J. (1997) Women, Alcohol and the Menstrual Cycle. Alcohol and Alcoholism. 32,435-441
- Gill, J. (1993) "Alcohol problems in employment: epidemiology and responses", Alcohol and Alcoholism. 29 233-248
- Bewick,B.M., Gill,J., Mulhearn,B., Barkham,M. and Hill,A.J. (2008) Using electronic surveying to assess psychological distress within the UK university student population: a multi-site pilot investigation. E-journal of Applied Psychology 4(2) 1-5.
- Gill,J and O’May, F (2007) Practical demonstration of personal daily consumption limits; a useful intervention tool to promote responsible drinking among UK adults? Alcohol and Alcoholism , 42, 436-441.
- Guise,J and Gill, J (2007) “Binge drinking? It’s good, it’s harmless fun”: A discourse analysis of accounts of female undergraduate drinking in Scotland. Health Education Research 22,895-906.
- Gill,J., Smith,S. and Davidson, I. (2006) Association of alcohol intake with dietary and anthropometric markers of cardiovascular risk among UK female university student drinkers;results of a pilot study
- Gill, J., Donaghy,M., Guise,J. and Warner P (2007) Descriptors and accounts of female undergraduate drinking in Scotland. Health Education Research 22, 27-36.
- Gill,J and O’May,F (2007) How ‘sensible’ is the UK Sensible drinking message? Factors which impact on levels of alcohol consumption among newly matriculated female university students. J Public Health 29(1) 13-16.
- Gill,J and O’May,F (2006) Drink labelling and the ‘Sensible Drinking’ message; awareness and perceptions among supermarket shoppers in Scotland, 12 Jan 2006
- Gill,J and O’May,F (2006) People seem confused about sensible drinking messages. British Medical Journal 332 302-303.
- Gill J., Murdoch,J and O’May F. (2008) Binge Drinking- a commentary. Nova Publishers, New York
- Gill J. (2007) The neurobiology of emotions and mood. In Donaghy, M. et al Interventions in Rehabilitations Therapy using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Butterworth Heinemann Elsevier, UK.