- QMU is the only institution outside London to teach the CIPR Internal Communications Diploma, the CIPR Public Affairs Diploma and the CIPR Diploma.
- QMU is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR).
- Our PR academics are recognised nationally and internationally for their excellence in research. These courses reflect the strength and depth of the teaching team which includes academics with extensive research and publication portfolios and PR practitioners with many years of experience at senior level in a wide range of organisations.
- CIPR Internal Communication Diploma graduates receive credits towards a MSc Strategic
Communication and Public Relations at QMU and towards the CIPR Diploma.
- Block teaching is a simple way of fitting your study around the demands of your job.
This course is for experienced internal communication practitioners or PR professionals who want to develop their
strategic internal communication and management skills. It provides those working in internal communications with a platform for continuous development.
On this course, you will take an indepth look at the role that internal communications plays in organisations and in particular those going through change. You will develop your ability to use research to inform effective internal communication strategies and develop successful plans. The course focuses on core topics such as: internal communication; audit; change management theory; using research to inform and help develop internal communication strategies; moving from one-way communications to engagement; and psychology of communication and the role and function of technology.
CIPR Internal Communications Diploma. Graduates are also awarded 30 credits towards QMUs MSc Strategic Communication and Public Relations
Block attendance supported by online learning
Full-time: 8 months (January to August)
Teaching, learning and assessment:
Twenty hours of on campus teaching comprises a variety of approaches including lectures, workshops, group work and input from senior practitioners and QMU academics.
Work is set and contact maintained between teaching blocks through online discussions. Students also receive supervision support with their assignment.
CIPR Internal Communication Diploma students learn alongside CIPR Diploma and MSc Strategic Communication and Public Relations students ensuring that you benefit from sharing experiences and developing a network of colleagues. Assessment is through submission of a 6,000 word research project. Support is offered with research project preparation.
Further information is available on the CIPR website
Click to view QMU teaching dates
Teaching hours and attendance:
Teaching is normally delivered in one or two day blocks three times a year. Details are available on the QMU website. This is a Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) course and successful students gain a CIPR award.
Links with industry/professional bodies:
Students on the course are eligible for student membership of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) and, on graduation, can upgrade their membership to full or associate status depending on professional experience.
- The CIPR Advanced Certificate in Public Relations;
- OR The CIPR Internal Communication Certificate plus one years full-time employment in PR
- OR a postgraduate professional qualification in a related discipline (eg CIM Diploma), plus one years full-time
employment (or equivalent part-time employment) in public relations*;
- OR a degree in business/marketing/ management/communication studies, plus one years full-time employment in
- OR any other UK degree plus two years full-time employment in PR*;
- OR NCTJ Diploma plus either five years journalism experience or three years full-time employment in PR*;
- OR two years full-time employment in public relations*, and the CAM Advanced Diploma in Marketing Communication;
- OR LCCIEB 5 3rd Level subjects, including PR, Marketing, Advertising, Principles & Practice of Management,
plus two years experience in PR;
- OR four years full-time employment in public relations* and five GCSE passes, one of which must be in English Language
Those whose first language is not English must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the language - spoken and written - to an International Language Testing System (IELTS) band score of 6.5 or equivalent
Home/EU - full-time:
- More information about scholarships for international students
Funding Information for International Students:
Visit the International
section of the website.
Visit the Fees
section of the website. -
Graduates of the University who hold a verified QMU undergraduate or postgraduate award and who are admitted to a postgraduate award of QMU will be eligible for a
10% discount on the published fees.
Sources of Funding:
Visit the Funding
section of the website.
Assessing Internal Communication/ Change Management and Communication/ Applying Advanced Communication Theory/ Research project
The modules listed here are correct at the time of posting (June 16), but are subject to change. In the event that modules have to change, QMU will seek to use reasonable endeavours to ensure that there is no detrimental impact to students.
CIPR qualifications are recognised as the benchmark for professional practice in public relations by employers in the private and public sectors. The CIPR Internal
Communication Diploma helps participants to develop or diversify their careers by fostering a strategic approach to internal communications management. Studying for the CIPR Internal Communication Diploma counts towards the CIPRs CPD programme and becoming a CIPR Accredited Practitioner - the hallmark of your commitment to professional development.
Jo Bland, NHS North East
I received great support when completing the Internal Communications Diploma dissertation.