This course is for experienced internal communication or PR professionals who want to develop their strategic internal communication and management skills. It provides those working in internal communications with a platform for continuous development.
On this course, you will take an in-depth look at the role that internal communications plays in organisations and in particular those going through change. You will develop your ability to use research to inform effective internal communication strategies and develop successful plans. The course focuses on core topics such as: analysing organisational culture; audit methodologies and application; change management theory; using research to inform and help develop internal communication strategies; moving from one-way communications to engagement; psychology of communication and the role and function of technology including intranets.
CIPR Internal Communications Diploma. Graduates are also awarded 45 credits towards QMUs
MSc Public Relations
Block attendance supported by online
Single Modules: It is not possible to study single modules
Full-time: 7 months
The deadline for all overseas applicants who require a visa to study in the UK should apply no later than the 30th June 2013.
Teaching, learning and assessment:
On campus teaching comprises a variety of approaches including lectures, workshops, case study, group work and input from senior practitioners and QMU academics. Work is set and contact maintained between teaching blocks through online discussions. CIPR Internal Communications Diploma students learn alongside CIPR Diploma and MSc Public Relations students ensuring that you benefit from sharing experiences and developing a network of colleagues. Assessment is through submission of a 6,000 word research project. Support is offered with research project preparation. Further information is available on the CIPR website at http://www.cipr.co.uk/courses/cipr-internalcommunication- diploma
Teaching hours and attendance:
You will be required to attend QMU for one day in early January,one and half days at the end of January, and a full day in March. Two further full day optional sessions are offered.
Links with industry/professional bodies:
Students on the course are eligible for student membership of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR) and, on graduation, can upgrade their membership to full or associate status depending on professional experience.
-The CIPR Advanced Certificate in Public Relations OR The CIPR Internal Communication
Certificate plus one years full-time employment in PR*
- OR a post-graduate professional qualification in a related discipline (e.g. CIM diploma), plus one years full-time employment (or equivalent part-time employment) in public relations*;
- OR a degree in business/marketing/ management/communication studies, plus one years full-time employment in PR;
-OR any other UK degree plus two years full-time employment in PR*;
- OR NCTJ Diploma plus either five years journalism experience or three years fulltime employment in PR*;
- OR two years full-time employment in public relations*, and the CAM Advanced Diploma in Marketing Communication;
- OR LCCIEB 5 3rd Level subjects, including PR, Marketing, Advertising, Principles & Practice of Management, plus two years experience in PR;
- OR four years full-time employment in public relations* and five GCSE passes, one of which must be in English Language
Those whose first language is not English must be able to demonstrate proficiency in the language - spoken and written - to an International Language Testing System (IELTS) band score of 7.0 or above or equivalent.
Home - full-time:
Funding Information for International Students:
Visit the International
section of the website.
Visit the Fees
section of the website. -
Graduates of the University who hold a verified QMU undergraduate or postgraduate award and who are admitted to a postgraduate award of QMU will be eligible for a 10% discount on the published fees.
Sources of Funding:
Visit the Funding
section of the website.
-Assessing Internal Communication
-Change Management and Communication
-Applying Advanced Communication Theory
* Eligibility of PR employment will be determined by the qualifications department and will need to be deemed to be of a sufficiently senior level. If you are unsure whether or not you meet the entry criteria please email: qualifications@cipr. co.uk for clarification.
CIPR qualifications are recognised as the benchmark for professional practice in public relations by employers in the private and public sectors. The CIPR Internal Communications Diploma helps participants to develop or diversify their careers by fostering a strategic approach to internal communications management.