Food and Drink
Arising from our research in Dietetics, Nutrition and Biological Sciences QMU has academic expertise in the translation and application of science to support commercially successful research and development within the industry.
Our newly established Scottish Centre for Food Development and Innovation and its dedicated facilities further our work with companies, both large and small, across the food and drink supply chain.
Whether they are seeking to maximise the opportunity in naturally healthy food and drink products, developing leading edge functional foods, or reformulating existing products.
Our practical innovation support and creative business solutions can help businesses with:
- New and innovative product development and analysis;
- Development of leading edge functional, health enhancing products and ingredients;
- Reformulation of existing products – for example healthier alternatives to fat and sugar;
- Innovative sources of raw materials to produce novel ingredients and ensure sustainability;
- Ingredients to improve product processing and preservation and
- Nutritional analysis, shelf life testing, consumer focus groups and taste panels.
To find out how the Business Innovation Exchange at QMU has supported one small business please view our Black & Gold video.
We understand the environment in which companies are operating and can provide access to opportunities which can fund your strategic developments.
In recognition of our pioneering work with the Food and Drink industry and in partnership with our on-campus SME, AMT, we have received awards for Sustained Industry Partnership and Innovation of the Year.
More information about our work with SMEs and Industry can be found in our brochure, and to see examples of our work with a range of companies please go to Case Studies.
If you are interested in working with our researchers in this area, please contact our Business Development Manager Miriam Smith.
Supported by specialist academic staff the Centre’s superb facilities include:
- Dedicated microbiology laboratory;
- Fully-equipped sensory suite;
- Dedicated chemistry laboratory;
- Technology/white room for industry to test new technology:
- Development kitchen.
Access to all of the above facilities is available on a commercial basis to industry and SMEs. Please contact Miriam Smith, Business Development Manager, to discuss your requirements - Mobile: 07872 128688.
^ to top